New young shooter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mfadem

New young shooter

Post by mfadem »

I am looking to start my two boys on shooting air rifles. I saw an ad on OLN about the Daisy 953 TargetPro. It looks like the the Avanti 853 but without the wooden stock and rear diopter sight. Does anyone know anything about these? Are these a good one to start kids out on to learn the 3-position air rifle? They do seem like a good value for what you are getting. Does anyone know the cocking effort? Same at the Avanti 853?
Okay, now I will wait for responses.
mikeschroeder

Re: New young shooter

Post by mikeschroeder »

mfadem wrote:I am looking to start my two boys on shooting air rifles. I saw an ad on OLN about the Daisy 953 TargetPro. It looks like the the Avanti 853 but without the wooden stock and rear diopter sight. Does anyone know anything about these? Are these a good one to start kids out on to learn the 3-position air rifle? They do seem like a good value for what you are getting. Does anyone know the cocking effort? Same at the Avanti 853?
Okay, now I will wait for responses.
Hi

If you'e going to be SERIOUS at all about target, don't buy the '53's. Buy the 888 from CMP for $219. The 853 has a cocking force of 18 pounds. The other problem with this is that you have to get out of position to load the gun. The 888 stock configuration isn't as good, but it's fine until you get to precision.

Mike
Wichita KS
MikeO

Post by MikeO »

How do we go about purchasing the 888 from CMP? - their web site doesn't show anything.....

thanks for your help.

CMP rifle program

Post by Guest »

http://www.odcmp.com/Programs/JrAirRifles.htm
This link should get you to the right page. For some reason they want to make their website hard to navigate and find what you are looking for
TWP

Post by TWP »

Yes it does,

But you have to look in the Club area. Only affiliated clubs can purchase air rifles from CMP.

http://www.odcmp.com/Programs/JrAirRifles.htm

If you shoot with a club look into having them purchase the gun for you. By CMP Rules the club has to maintain control of the air gun for 1 year. (doesn't have to be held at the club, just carrie don their books as theirs.)
Roy McClain

Sporter Air Rifles rule, CO2 Rifles Drool

Post by Roy McClain »

mfadem

You ask a question that has many correct answers. The 888 is ok and it's true that you don't have to get out of position to cock the rifle, but it's CO2. To me that's not an acceptable choice. If Daisy or Crossman or any other Manufacturer were to make a "GOOD" Compressed air Sporter, they would have the market cornered. Now there are folks that will sing the praises of the Avanti, but it's marginal for lots of reasons.

In short, go cheap till you can get the boys through their positions and they are ready for Precision. I have several folks using the P70 Jr and Walther which were purchased from CMP. They love their entry level Precision Rifles. I've tested lots of these 700 - 800 dollar Precision Air Rifles, and with good pellets, they all shoot one hole, and many will pick up a pellet (Through the target paper) by it's skirt after 10 shots.

That's the other side of the Sporter Coin, Good Luck and stop by if you get to Atlanta.

Roy McClain
(678) 772-8185 cell
Spalding County Shooting Sports
MikeO

Post by MikeO »

Thanks for posting the link. I'm still reading the wealth of info here but...

I'm searching for a club but to no avail! I'm about to consider sponsoring my own club just to give my boys and their friends a venue!

JROTC shooting is on hold. Most of the 4H here is busy raising cows.

The future of US shooting (air rifle and pistol) is with our youth and yet not much opportunity - at least in Central Texas.... frustrating for sure. We have good trap and skeet within 50 miles (San Antonio) but our boys are too young and wallet too skinny for that.

Thanks to all who contribute here.

Still searching.....

MikeO
San Marcos Texas

Post by guest »

MikeO,
Starting your own club isn't a bad idea at all.
It may still be worth trying to affiliate somehow with 4H, BSA, AmLeg, NG, etc. They could provide support, contacts, insurance, etc. Check with your NRA rep about applying for a FONRA grant to help get going.
You might want to track down Tom Rawlings and/or Pete Carrion as good resources in your area.
mikeschroeder

Re: Sporter Air Rifles rule, CO2 Rifles Drool

Post by mikeschroeder »

Roy McClain wrote:mfadem

You ask a question that has many correct answers. The 888 is ok and it's true that you don't have to get out of position to cock the rifle, but it's CO2. To me that's not an acceptable choice. If Daisy or Crossman or any other Manufacturer were to make a "GOOD" Compressed air Sporter, they would have the market cornered. Now there are folks that will sing the praises of the Avanti, but it's marginal for lots of reasons.

In short, go cheap till you can get the boys through their positions and they are ready for Precision. I have several folks using the P70 Jr and Walther which were purchased from CMP. They love their entry level Precision Rifles. I've tested lots of these 700 - 800 dollar Precision Air Rifles, and with good pellets, they all shoot one hole, and many will pick up a pellet (Through the target paper) by it's skirt after 10 shots.

That's the other side of the Sporter Coin, Good Luck and stop by if you get to Atlanta.

Roy McClain
(678) 772-8185 cell
Spalding County Shooting Sports
While everything Roy says is true, I stand by my suggestion to buy the 888's instead of the 853's. The 888's are substantially better than the 853's, and are still a LOT cheaper than the cheapest precision air rifles. I would suggest moving on to precision though.

Mike