Scopes on smallbore?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ddtkid

Scopes on smallbore?

Post by ddtkid »

Am I able to place a scope on a matchgrade smallbore rilfe? If I decided I wanted to shoot beyond 100 meters, is this possible? Or should I purchase a gun more suitable for this role? Thanks.
mikeschroeder

Re: Scopes on smallbore?

Post by mikeschroeder »

ddtkid wrote:Am I able to place a scope on a matchgrade smallbore rilfe? If I decided I wanted to shoot beyond 100 meters, is this possible? Or should I purchase a gun more suitable for this role? Thanks.
Yes you can put a scope on MOST matchgrade smallbore Rifles. It is possible to shoot a .22LR beyond 100 meters, BUT it's not the optimal gun for that. For a true medium range target gun (up to 600 meters) a .223 Remington with 77 or 80 grain Sierra's is about the minimum. For true long range target gun (up to 1000 meters), you'll need to go to a 6mm Benchrest or a 6mm - 250 with the longest heaviest bullets available as a minimum.

It would be helpful if we know what you plan to shoot at and where.

Hope this helps

Mike
Wichita KS

Post by Guest »

I basically wanted to use it for target practice and plinking. I realize that a larger caliber is more suited for the role, but I would prefer to use a .22. It would be fun and economical from my standpoint. Thanks for your reply.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

What rifle?

You can get decent scope mounts for most smallbore guns now.

Mike
Wichita KS
JPOC

Post by JPOC »

If you are looking for a real challenge with your .22 rimfire match rifle, try mini-palma targets. Competitions are held with these. Also, there used to be 200 yd competitions, and you could try that for fun on your own. Either will really challenge you. Enjoy!