Just can't get my Mossberg 144LSB to fire

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Hans

Just can't get my Mossberg 144LSB to fire

Post by Hans »

Basically, the title sums it up nicely. Last hundred or so trigger pulls have resulted in only 4 rounds leaving the barrel from the muzzle end.

The problem seems to be insufficient force on the rim of the casings, some are barely showing a scratch after being hit. Nobody else at the range has had any trouble with the ammo I've been trying. I tried a new mainspring, mainspring plunger and firing pin, but no luck. There is no binding that I can find, and the firing pin appears to be moving fully forward. It's assembled properly according to all the diagrams I can find.

I'm stumped.

-Hans
TWP

Post by TWP »

Did you check headspace?

There could be enough wear in the locking area of the bolt that the bolt is no longer far enough forward for the firing pin to contact the round.
durant7

Post by durant7 »

An active Mossberg clan can be found at http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/smallbore/smallbore.pl?
Hans

Post by Hans »

Thanks for the link, posted the same question over there as well.

Ronald, thanks for the suggestion to tighten the rear bolt body, unfortunately the problem persists.

Got a couple more leads to check out however, just need to get the proper gauges to measure the headspace and somebody also suggested removing the trigger guard to check for binding of the sear.

Will update as I go.

-Hans