Right hand air rifle for left hand shooting (FWB 601)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Robby

Right hand air rifle for left hand shooting (FWB 601)

Post by Robby »

Hi!

I am a newbie who is looking of a good used SSP match air rifle. I shoot left handed (due to my dominant eye) though i am naturally right handed.
My question is whether i can use a right handed air rifle (used FWB 601s are in my price range) for left handed shooting?

Are there any issues other than discomfort (loading/cocking) for practicing at home?

Since there are lot more choices with RH than LH in the market (i guess that would translate to resale value too when i upgrade i future) i would like to explore this possibility.

My advance apologies if this is a 'duh' question.

Thanks for your time!
Robby
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

If you are left eyed, by all means shoot left handed. Practice A LOT to get used to holding the rifle. You don't really mention how experienced you are right now. If you're just starting out, I would by an ambidexterious gun like a Daisy 888. Don't buy a pneumatic if you're serious about this, you have to lose position every time you shoot it.

The Avanti Valiant and Daisy 888 are both good sporter guns. The 888 cocks from the right side, but it's easy enough to do left handed. The stock itself is ambidexterous. I would avoid the Crosman 2000. Looks mean, but we have a lot of trouble with our two.

I'm sure that there are other ambidexterous guns out there, but I have experience with those three.

Mike
Wichita KS

Post by Guest »

mikeschroeder wrote:If you are left eyed, by all means shoot left handed.
I'll be one to say that unless your right eye is very weak, you may be better off just shooting RH FOR THIS STYLE of shooting. Targets don't move and you don't move so you can easily use a blinder to block vision of your left eye. Use a light colored blinder attached to the sight or a hat (see new rules on blinder sizes and placement).

One of my shooters would be like you, but her right eye IS messed up so I started her shooting LH. Otherwise, I would have let her go with what felt most natural, which is RH for most. You can't do this with shotgun or action pistol - must use the dominant eye in that case.

As a lefty, everything is more expensive and harder to find. But, yes, you can manage to shoot LH with a RH rifle. I hadn't tried it with a 601, but I did it for 2 years with a FWB 300, which has a less forgiving cheekpiece (eg, non-adjustable and sharp corner).
Bob Foth

ambidextrous stock

Post by Bob Foth »

Check the posts under Anschutz club rifle... for information on the Walther LG300 Jr. Don't be fooled by the "Jr" as it can easily be modified to work for anyone and is a real bargain. Roughly in the price range of the used SSP 601s for a new CA!
bobfoth@juno.com
Robby

Post by Robby »

Thanks Mike, Guest and Bob for your time.

As an adult beginner with about a couple of month's experience i am just getting to shoot 7s consistently with Daisy 853. So, my intent is to get a good but simple rifle, hence an SSP (like used FWB 601). From what i read, going with CA sounds very complicated. I am not sure if i am being paranoid (fear of unknown?). My original plan was to stick with a good SSP till i reach competitive level (hopefully in a year) before going for CA.
From your experience do you think this approach will impede my progress?

Thanks
Robby
Bob Foth

airgun

Post by Bob Foth »

The disadvantage of the CA is that it works best if you have a scuba tank, although there are also handpumps (part of a PT program???). Most good matches should provide air to competitiors and a full cylinder on the rifle should last hundreds of rounds.
I think there are several advantages including: getting a new rifle, ease of loading, more likely to be something you are satisfied with longer (one of our world class juniors is still using a "Jr" gun) avoiding the resale effort.

The SSP gun doesn't require air tanks and, if it is properly maintained, should be just as accurate.
Disadvantages include: possibility of rust or other problems, cocking force for every shot, etc. You also need to have the rear sight checked very carefully as some of the FWB sights were bad around the time the 601 first came out.

You are fortunate to be in the Atlanta area. There is considerable activity and interest there and many major matches are at Fort Benning. Consider helping a junior club. "Coaching" time you spend will help you shoot better too. They will also be very knowledgeable about upcoming opportunities, etc.

I don't think either one will necessarily "impede" your progress.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

If you are shooting standing only the SSP will not be any disadvantage. In three position the cocking can be a problem in prone, but many good scores are still shot with the SSP.

Do try to find a left handed rifle, as it will last you your whole life (and your grandkids too) if taken care of properly.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Robby wrote:Thanks Mike, Guest and Bob for your time.

As an adult beginner with about a couple of month's experience i am just getting to shoot 7s consistently with Daisy 853. So, my intent is to get a good but simple rifle, hence an SSP (like used FWB 601). From what i read, going with CA sounds very complicated. I am not sure if i am being paranoid (fear of unknown?). My original plan was to stick with a good SSP till i reach competitive level (hopefully in a year) before going for CA.
From your experience do you think this approach will impede my progress?

Thanks
Robby
Hi Robby

Personally, I would just stick with the 853 until you can get either a CO2 or a Compressed Air gun. We have an NRA / USA Shooting smallbore coach trainer locally (Benton KS). He said that you should not loose position when shooting prone or kneeling. You MUST loose position to shoot an 853. Since you have to cock the 853 anyway, you may as well just shoot it until you can afford a CA gun. The barrels on the 853's are very good, and will get you to a VERY high level. We have kids shooting 3-Position matches with Dasiy 888's (same barrel) and they regularly shoot above 500 or 600. This is sporter, no coat, no leather pants.

In summary, I wouldn't bother with the intermediate SSP gun.

Shoot tens

Mike

Post by Guest »

Robby,
Check out the For Sale section here at TT. Some one has posted a Left handed FWB601 for sale. Hope this helps.
Robby

Post by Robby »

Hi!

Thanks for providing these valuable insights. It definitely gives me a direction. It is not very often that one gets personal answers from established folks and that is very reassuring. Being a beginner myself i would have never considered helping around junior programs. Now i can see how that can be mutually beneficial and would appreciate any help with contacts/links.

Post by Guest »

Robby wrote:Now i can see how that can be mutually beneficial and would appreciate any help with contacts/links.
JP OConnor can point you to some junior programs in the area.
jp.oconnor <at> otised.com

He's real busy so it may take some time to reply.