backyard range

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kamikaze739

backyard range

Post by kamikaze739 »

im putting a AR range in my backyard , what is the best trap system that i can use for 3-p air rifle that i can fit a 5 or 12 bull target, how much will it cost and where can i get it

mark

backyard range

Post by guest »

Take a look at the Outers pellet and .22 cal rimfire trap at Champions Choice, item 40801. It has a 10" x 11" target area and will handle the targets you want to use. www.champchoice.com.
Bob Foth

target

Post by Bob Foth »

I have a single bull target changer and trap system that we used for summer camps. It is ideal for 3P as it mounts on a standard 1" gas pipe.
It is also portable should you want to train in a different location.
bobfoth@juno.com
kamikaze739

Post by kamikaze739 »

how much was the target changer, and where did you get it

mark
Bob Foth

changer

Post by Bob Foth »

I came up with the idea for the basic design based on the needs expressed by so many coaches and shooters in my summer camps.
You can order them direct from me for $185+S&H without the stand (which would cost more to ship than to make your own).
bobfoth@juno.com
Bill177

It is getting cold outside and indoor shooting looks good

Post by Bill177 »

Try these ideas:
http://www.straightshooters.com/target/btsilent.html
http://www.babymd.net/aa_improved_silen ... t_trap.htm

Just a couple of ideas.

I built my own and it works great - is quiet and cost less than $30 to build.

You can use the same box inside or outside - weather permitting. Most of my real target shooting is done inside during the winter months.
kamikaze739

Post by kamikaze739 »

where could i get a good stand for these traps

mark

Backyard range

Post by guest »

You can rest either the Outers trap or a commercial or home crafted silent trap on a saw horse or the top of a 2' or 4' stepladder. In either case, you might want to attach or temporarily clamp a wide board to the saw horse or ladder for extra stability. Or, if you're handy and have a shop or access to one, the sky is the limit.
WRC177

Post by WRC177 »

Gee, that brings back memories ... I used to use my Outers trap on a stepladder in the backyard ...
Eddy

3P Target Changer

Post by Eddy »

Just a quick note to set the record straight. The target changer system referred to by Bob Foth is actually manufactured by TargetWorx. Targetworx engineered and designed this system. We are the only manufacturers and have a patent pending. The idea of "there ought to be a target system suitable for 3P air rifle" was in fact Bob's. That is why for the moment he is an authorized distributor. The systems can be seen at targetworx.com. There have been several major improvements after they were used at the NRA 3P National Championship in ID. The retail price is now $189.00. They can be ordered directly online, from Creedmoore Sports, or from Bob Foth.

In addition, a 50 foot .22 conversion is in the works with targets to be made by National Target.

Eddy Esworthy
Owner, Targetworx
www.targetworx.com
Lee Sellers

Post by Lee Sellers »

I buildt something similar to the original trap seen at:

http://www.babymd.net/aa_improved_silen ... t_trap.htm

I used scrap around the garage. Less than an hour an no cost seemed like a great value to me!

I added a threaded insert so that I could attach the trap to a camera tripod so I could vary the height for 3P practice.

Hope this helps.

Lee
kamikaze739

Post by kamikaze739 »

thanks everyone, this has been a lot of help
kamikaze739

Post by kamikaze739 »

one other though, how safe is shooting air rifle in a house, or would a backyard be better

mark

Backyard range

Post by guest »

Your question begs a substantive response without detailed knowledge of the dimensions and other qualities of the proposed environments. In any event, the safety of persons and property that share those environments is paramount. Secondary is the quality of training (or entertainment) offered by the indoor and outdoor alternatives. If you’re an experienced shooter, you know that sooner or later something will go wrong, such as an errant shot that is not captured by your pellet trap or backstop and results in collateral damage or injury to others. In which environment is that contingency totally contained or satisfactorily minimized? Which offers the least probability of personal injury or property damage? In which situation is your legal liability for personal injury or property damage eliminated or reduced to a degree acceptable to you? Only you can survey your specific range options with these considerations in mind. Give the matter some critical and analytical thought. Best of luck.
DonC

Semi-truck Mud Flap Box

Post by DonC »

I bought 2 semi-truck mud flaps and hang them from clips in a box. When the pellet hit the flap the energy is absorbed by the heavy free hanging flap. The pellets drop into a tapered base and collect in a coffee can.
I have shot this flap for 5 years at about 500 shots a week. It's still got lots of life still.
My flap is laminated and has steel strip imbedded into the rubber lamination. Flying rocks and stones have alot more ft/lbs of energy than a 10 meter rifle.
Flaps cost me $45.00
Bill177

Not all mud flaps are good for stopping pellets

Post by Bill177 »

I tried this method of stopping pellets for an afternoon (very short afternoon at that). Then I went back to using my target box with the ballistic putty (you can substitute "Duct Seal"). The flap I was using was throwing the pellets back at me - everytime. Some actually hit me. This may vary from one type of flap to another - but BEWARE!