Scoring the USA-50 Target

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pdeal

Scoring the USA-50 Target

Post by pdeal »

I have a question on scoring the USA shooting 50' target. I borrowed a rule book and was trying to figure this out. I read something in there that made me think that it should be scored with an inward plug- i.e. a 22 cal plug. They also give dimensions in the rules of an outward plug for scoring smallbore targets but don't say where it is to be used. Anybody know what is correct? I will verify for sure next week with a call to USAS but I thought I would see if anyone here knows for sure.
Jim B

USA-50 Scoring

Post by Jim B »

I don't know if it's totally right, but we've always scored the 10's with the outward plug, and the rest of the target with the inward plug. Again, I don't know if it's totally right, but that's how we do it.
topshot

Re: USA-50 Scoring

Post by topshot »

Jim B wrote:I don't know if it's totally right, but we've always scored the 10's with the outward plug, and the rest of the target with the inward plug. Again, I don't know if it's totally right, but that's how we do it.
The outward plug must be used for all scoring rings that it can be. They put in a note about that in the JORC packets a couple years ago.
Jack Leslie

USAS50 Scoring

Post by Jack Leslie »

Initally we scored USAS50 like NRA A-36s, just like Jim B described. Now, after asking USAS for a clarification, our understanding is that you can use either the inward gauge (the ten dot must be OBLITERATED, not just touched, to score a ten) or the outward gauge (I think it will work as far out as the five ring). The outward gauge is preferred since it works on an intact ring, but either gauge can be used. The Match Bulletin should specify which gauge will be used.

As I said, this our current understanding, but I cannot gaurantee it is correct.

Jack
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Jack has it right. I called USAS yesterday and they have a very nice instruction page that they faxed me. The outward gauge is preferred. The inward gauge can be used but in the case of 10's the dot must be totally gone not just touched. If you are running PTO's or Junior olympics the best thing is to call and have them fax you the sheet.