Rika trainer and Daisy 853

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Robby

Rika trainer and Daisy 853

Post by Robby »

Recently i started practising ISS AR and bought a Daisy 853. Though the rifle is a bit underweight and small i think from my experience so far and the information i gathered from forums like these that it should suffice my needs till i get the basics right. I am thinking of buying a home trainer (zeroing on Rika). Has anyone tried mounting Rika sensor on an 853. My main concern is the somewhat oversized barrel shroud.

Also, I'll be really greatful if there there is anyone in Atlanta area who is willing to guide me once in a while with equipment, procedures etc.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Robby: I do have a Rika but not an 853 so I don't have direct experience with fitting the two together. It should work, in fact you should be able to put a RIKA on a cap gun if you want to. The oversized barrel shroud may very well be the best place to put the sensor. The biggest challenge I have had with mine is fitting it onto smaller barrels.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Don't buy the Rikka until you can shoot at least all 8's (maybe even 9's) with the 853. It's not a great air rifle, but it's very good. I don't know you, or your experience, but I would even suggest buying a better Air rifle before you get the Rikka. Either way, shoot a lot first. EVen expensive pellets are cheap.

Mike
pilkguns in Atlanta

Post by pilkguns in Atlanta »

The RIKA will quite easily fit on the barrel weight of a 853, and is an excellent training aid at any skill level, although I am not sure what you are looking to do, do you mean ISSF ? there are lots of AR stuff in the Atlanta area, and I myself am down here frequently although anyone shooting ISSF will hav something more in line with Olympic ARrather than the "sporter" class 853. If nothing else, I would suggest a used FWB 300. Nothing wrong with the 853, it is a nice accurate rifle for the class its designed to compete in, but for ISSF, it is a Chevy 4WD that is competing with Mercedes and BMWs
Robby

Post by Robby »

Thanks for your replies. Good to know that Rika and 853 will go well.

I really want to see how good i can get and compete in olympic style competitions when i get there. I bought the 853 without doing much research in used ARs. The information i gathered from the net suggest that i can accelerate my learning (in basement, ofcourse) if i have feedback from home trainers. Being a 32 year old beginner (shooting 7s) with usual family-job routine i literally have to shoot when everyone is asleep - hence the hope on training efficiently.

From your replies i guess that you suggest getting a better AR before getting a home trainer.

Do you think i will be learning bad habits if i continue with 853 till i get better?

Thanks!
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Robby wrote:Thanks for your replies. Good to know that Rika and 853 will go well.

Being a 32 year old beginner (shooting 7s) with usual family-job routine i literally have to shoot when everyone is asleep - hence the hope on training efficiently.

Do you think i will be learning bad habits if i continue with 853 till i get better?

Thanks!
Hi

Yes I did suggest getting a better AR before you get the Rikka, BUT the tink sound of a lead Pellet hitting the steel or ballistic putty backstop can keep the kids awake. The main problem with the 853 is that you have to get out of position to cock it everytime. This is especially bad in Prone and Kneeling position. You don't have to use the pump with the Rikka. The stock isn't too bad with the 853, not great, but not that bad.

If you have the bucks, get the Rikka.

Mike