Anschutz 16XX

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Hulk

Anschutz 16XX

Post by Hulk »

I have been all over the internet and found very little information regarding the Anschutz 16XX rifles. The "X" rifles are highly regarded but their history is short and sweet. I finally found someone with Anschutz that would fill in some of the blanks. It seems there was an issue with lock time on this action using the experimental bolt and firing pin. This was improved with the 18XX/19XX series. The End.

I would like a little more background and the folks at Anschutz are not eager to talk about the whole story.

Does anyone have the whole story?
rbs

XGun

Post by rbs »

The 1600's had an open slot on the bottom of the bolt. Anschutz felt as the firing pin travelled forward, there was a build up of air pressure like a "cushion", which could slow it down. In theory, this slot would let this air out, so this cushion would not build up. However this open slot also allowed crud in.
sandy22

Anschutz 16XX

Post by sandy22 »

I had the impression the reputation of the X series rifles was based on the quality of the barrels, and really had nothing to do with the action and trigger changes.

I came across a story recently that Anschutz, up to around that time, had been using a very good grade of British steel. They reputedly changed (presumably to German?) and their barrels have never enjoyed as good a reputation since.

Post by Guest »

One of our club rifles is an "X" prefixed 16 series, having checked the bolt there is no slot on the underside. I'd always heard that the "X" was just to denote the upgrade of the bolt and trigger; as Anschutz still called them 14s. Our 1607 does not shoot noticeably better than my own 1970 vintage 1407 or the clubs 18/19xx rifles.
topshot

Post by topshot »

Anonymous wrote:One of our club rifles is an "X" prefixed 16 series, having checked the bolt there is no slot on the underside. I'd always heard that the "X" was just to denote the upgrade of the bolt and trigger; as Anschutz still called them 14s. Our 1607 does not shoot noticeably better than my own 1970 vintage 1407 or the clubs 18/19xx rifles.
The X is actually suffixed rather than prefixed. We have 2 from 78-79, which do have the slot, but neither shoots any better than the other 11 Anschutz we have.