Jordan Takes Eighth Place in Men’s 10m Air Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

USAS

Jordan Takes Eighth Place in Men’s 10m Air Rifle

Post by USAS »

Athens, Greece (Sept. 19, 2004) – Dan Jordan (Franktown, Colo.), the U.S. Shooting Team’s sole Paralympic Games representative, took eighth place in the Men’s SH1 10m Air Rifle competition with a final score of 688.5.

The youngest athlete in the field, Jordan came out strong in the event finals, opening his round with scores of 10.8, 10.2, 10.4, 10.6, and 10.7, which put him in fifth place and within striking distance of a medal. Three shots later, however, with scores of 9.8, 9.5 and 9.9, he fell back in the standings to seventh place. His final two shots, 10.3 and 9.3, dropped him back another spot to his final placing, eighth.

“I am disappointed that I couldn’t keep my rhythm,” he explained. “I had a little bit of tension and nerves and I’m sure that played into the scores.”

Head coach Dan Durben (Spearfish, S.D.) was proud of Dan’s efforts, especially against such a tough and experienced field. “That was a really tough competition. Dan was the youngest guy out there and was up against some really experienced shooters, so he did pretty well considering it is his first Paralympic Games.”

Jordan made the finals by squeaking by Jae Yong Sim of Korea in the morning’s qualifying round. Jordan’s score of 587 was just enough to make the cut, leaving Sim ninth with a score of 585.

Jonas Jacobsson of Sweden won the SH1 Air Rifle gold medal with a score of 693.4. Franc Pinter of Slovenia took the silver with 692.6 and Ashley Adams took bronze with 692.2.

Jordan competes again on Tuesday, Sept. 21 in the Men’s 50m 3-Position Rifle. Jordan is the current World Record holder in the event and knows that it may be his best shot at a medal. “I’m excited for Tuesday,” he said. “It was really good to get out there and shoot today because I need the experience. Having one event out of the way helps me relax and now I have an idea of what to expect in the remaining competition.”

U.S. Shooting Schedule:
Tuesday, Sept. 21:
11:00 50m Free Rifle 3-Position SH1 Qualifier, Dan Jordan (Franktown, Colo.)
16:00 50m Free Rifle 3-Position SH1 Finals

Thursday, Sept. 23:
9:00 50m Smallbore Prone SH1 Qualifier, Dan Jordan (Franktown, Colo.)
12:00 50m Smallbore Prone SH1 Finals

For more information or to arrange an interview, please contact Diana Kersbergen, U.S. Paralympic Games Press Officer (011 30) 693-678-6383.
###