Spotting Scope For Air Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Hip's Ax

Spotting Scope For Air Rifle

Post by Hip's Ax »

Greetings, I need a spotting scope for air rifle as my old B&L that I use for smallbore and high power won't focus at 10m. Anybody out there using a really cheap spotting scope for air rifle? Can you see the whole AR-5/10 target with it at 10m? Thanks!
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I bought the cheapest scope that champion's choice was selling at the time - a Simmons - and for $139, it works great for 10m-50m. And you can get the whole 10 bull AR target in it.
Charles

10m spotting scope

Post by Charles »

The two I have tried and like are:

Don Nygord (www.nygord-precision.com) has a 20x 50mm spotting scope that will focus to 6m and includes a case & tripod for $89.95.

Photo: http://www.nygord-precision.com/images/scope1.jpg

Alternatively, I like the WWII US Military M17 Elbow scope. Mine focuses to about 10m and has about 8x of magnification. The nice part is it has about 2 inches of eye relief. Used on ebay the sell for around $50. Here is a link to an auction with a photo (no affiliation):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Charles
RobH

Spotting Scope

Post by RobH »

I recently purchased a Kowa 20x50 with the 45 degree eyepiece. They are about $150. I can see all five bulls on a target. Eye relief is great. Optics are clear and bright.

Rob
PaulB

Spotting Scope for Air Gun

Post by PaulB »

Try the NG 20x33 Spotting Scope ($155) from Pilkington. I know of several college pistol teams that use them.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I agree with Rob the 50mm Kowa is a good one- my daughter uses one. It will focus down to 10m, it's clear, and you can see a whole 10 bull target. One thing to keep in mind though is mounting. The little Kowa does not rotate in its mount. This is something that you will have to address (and pay for) in the mount you purchase. You might call Champ. Choice. They supposedly have a new line of lower end scopes that are japanese made and are I think a little closer to $100. If they have the rotating mount I would be inclined to try one of those. I bought one of their house brand scopes last year at Perry. The chinese ones. I was very unhappy with it so I sent it back and got a Kowa. They were very understanding. I spoke with Homer at the NRA show in Pittsburgh and said that the new japanese ones are much better than the chinese ones.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies folks, this board is a great resource!
Randy

Bushnell Spotting Scope

Post by Randy »

If your interested in the least expensive spotting scope that will focus down to 10 meters it's the Bushnell NatureView Scope. It is a fixed power of 10, which is more then enough for 10 meter and indoor 50 ft range. I have found that the model will focus down to about 24 feet. I got it from my local dealer for around $47. Supposedly they have a 45 degree angled eyepiece model for a few dollars more.