Differences between Daisy 853 and 753

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Robert Burdge

Differences between Daisy 853 and 753

Post by Robert Burdge »

I am considering the purchase of an air rifle for target practice and I am wondering what the differences are between these two Daisy target rifles. The 753 has a different shaped stock and is slightly longer, but I don't see anything that would account for the big step up in price for the 753.

I plan on using this air rifle primarily for off-hand practice for Highpower shooting. Can either of these rifles shoot 1 moa groups? That would be just less than 1/8" at 10 meters (0.115").

Do these rifles have scope rails? I like the aperture sights, but I have also read that practicing with a scope can really help you build a stable position. On a pneumatic gun I am assuming that a ".22" scope would be adequate since they do not recoil like the springers?

I chose a single stroke pneumatic since it has less overall hassle than a CO2 or PCP system and I don't mind pumping it since I will do most of my shooting in a standing position without a sling. I considered a springer, but they seem like they would have more maintenance issues and the lack of recoil with the pneumatic lets me work on my follow-through and trigger control more easily.

I am new to target air rifles so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

I have a 753 and other than the heavy trigger it is a very sweet gun to shoot. It'll shoot 5 shot groups only slightly larger than a pellet and from my experience is equally good with even the cheapest of pellets. Mounting a scope would be easy but it will make it harder to load, the loading port is a bit akward as it is even without a scope. One thing to keep in mind is that it is a junior gun so it's small and light, under 7 pounds. I only shoot airrifle so I have no idea how that would compare to a high power gun. Hope this helps.
John
BigRott

Post by BigRott »

Hello,

Aside from the differences in stock, the biggest difference is in the sights. The aperature sight set that comes with the 753 is much better than the one that comes with the 853. I bought both a 753 and an 853 for my wife and I and quickly ordered another 753 sight set for the 853. The stock and sights account for the price difference.

The biggest problem I had with both rifles was the butt plate. It's just a thin piece of hard plastic. It has no grip and can slide once you shoulder the gun. I bought an aftermarket rubber butt from Pachmayr for about $15 and, after a little shaping, it's now wonderful.

Any scope will function fine since there is no recoil. If you have trouble accessing the loading port use high rings to get extra clearance.

The trigger is heavy and creepy but from what I hear it can be worked to function much better.

I love these guns. They're a blast to shoot. If you're not looking to do any formal 10m competition they should serve you well.

Later,

BR

Post by Guest »

BR - can you tell any difference with the pumping effort between the 753 and 853? From Daisy's web page, the 853 requires 5 more lbs.
BigRott

Post by BigRott »

Hello,

Looking at the rest of the specs (velocity, barrel, etc.) they are exactly the same. If one were harder to pump I'd expect at least some difference in velocity. The maintenance parts are also interchangeable. This leads me to believe it's probably a typo on their end.

I really can't feel any difference in effort between the 753 and 853, but we're only talking about 5lbs so if there is a difference I may not notice it anyway.

Later,

BR
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

When cocking the 753, DON'T put the butt against your foot and cock it. The pressure is too much and you break the stock off at the wrist. HOld the gun above the rear sight. Daisy REALLY needs to make this model stock for the 888 and in a laminate.

By the way, Daisy sent me an 888 as a replacement. Cost a little for the extra CO2 cartridge, don't remember how much.

Mike