alu stock vs wood stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

alu stock vs wood stock

Post by Guest »

hi, im a junior shooter and currently use a FWB p70 with a wooden stock. Im thinking about changing to a alu stock and would like to know what are the advantages or disadvantages of using a alu stock instead of a wooden one. Thks.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

An advantage to the metal stock is that it can be more adjustable. The P70 wood stock is a good one though. Many people seem to think that the wood stock is a thing of the past and maybe they will be less common with the mfrs seeming to push the metal stocks. If you look at the Athens olympic results though I think at least two medals were won with wood stocked P70's. Before plunking down the bucks for a metal stock I would want to give one a good try to see if it fits better otherwise stick with the wood stock.
GaryN

climate

Post by GaryN »

I was told something interesting about wood stocks. Wood is more user friendly when the climate is at the extreeme. It does not get HOT in the 100+ temp of the desert or COLD in the sub 50 temp of an unheated range in the winter. So depending on where you live, this might be a consideration.

Gary
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

As air rifle is shot indoors I don't think it really matters that much, because that is what they said about wood "it changes with humdity la-la-la". As stated above the only really advantage is in adjustability.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I dunno about that. When I was at the Prado range (LA Olympic shooting venue) in May, in the afternoon the inside of the air rifle/pistol shooting hall sure felt like 100+F. I know it was 105F outside, and that building is not air conditioned. I was told by my AR coach that when they went to a match in Arizona in the summer, it was similar, the range was not air conditioned. I would imagine the flip as well, ranges in cold climates would not be heated. So yes you shoot indoors, but that does not mean the indoor temperature isn't as bad as it is outside. In the summer, without the outside breeze to help cool you down, it might even be worse inside.
TWP

Post by TWP »

I actually prefer that juniors have wood stocked rifles.

The Aluminum ones are too adjustable. I see kids messing with adjustments at every practice and never settle in and shoot.

The P70jr is a great rifle. It it's getting too small for you there are Brass butplate extensions, Bloop Tubes, Sight Risers and Lead stock weights that will bring it very easily up to 11.8 lbs.
Curt

Post by Curt »

Twp makes a good point. on the rifle team that i shoot on, i see alot of kids trying to finick w/ the gun instead of practicing shooting. if you have the time to find the setting that you like, thats great, but if not stick to the wood stock.

w/ air rifles, its a lot of personal preferance since recoil doesnt play as much of a role. wood stocks on a .22 can absorb a small (very small) amount of the recoil which can make it more managable.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Robertson Composites and Masterclass Stocks both make custom fiberglass stocks. Most of their line seems to be concerned with Smallbore prone styles, and one highpower Across the Course stock (XTC). I haven't heard of anyone using them. Personally I love fiberglass, feels sort of like wood, but doesn't change zero.

http://www.masterclassstocks.com/home.htm

http://www.robertsoncomposites.com/

Haven't bought from either, but intend to in the future.

Mike
Wichita KS
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Curt that was the other thing my AR coach told me when I asked about AL vs wood.

Too many people end up spending too much time fiddling w the almost infinite combination of adjustments possible w an AL stock. And because they don't know how to properly fit the rifle, they loose valuable practice time adjust and readjusting and re-readjusting and... to get the rifle to fit them.

If you KNOW what to do, then the adjustability is good.

His alternative for someone who just has to have an AL stock is to have the coach fit the AL stock to the shooter.
Then make sure the shooter doesn't fiddle w the adjustments.

Gary