Selecting Ammo for a Walther KK100

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Stacy Mullen

Selecting Ammo for a Walther KK100

Post by Stacy Mullen »

We have purchased the Walther KK100 sb for my daughter who, of course, shoots competatively. Right now she are using Wolf Super Match grade ammo in the rifle. However, our local dealer is having problems getting the ammo from his supplier. If anyone is using a KK100 and uses any other type of ammo, please let us know. She has a lot of matches coming up over the next month and we are ALMOST OUT!

Thanks,

Stacy
Ian

Ammo For Your Walther

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Even though I'm a pistol shooter, I have used both Wolfe and SK Ammo. I found out that Wolf is manufactured by SK. As such I would think that you will find the same performance from SK's rifle match ammo as you do from the Wolfe match ammo.

I believe both Pilkington and Champion's choice have SK match ammo in stock.

Also have you considered looking at one of the Eley products for use in matches?

As always, keep'em in the 10 ring,
Ian
Stacy Mullen

Ammo for Walther KK100

Post by Stacy Mullen »

Ian:

Thanks. I will look into the SK. My daughter shot with Eley this year at Camp Perry and didn't care for the slippery feeling it had. I guess purchasing a box and letting her try it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again,

Stacy
TWP

Post by TWP »

I've always mail ordered my Wolf ammo.

Plenty of places on line have it.
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I don't understand everyone's need to practice with match ammo. I regularly use SK Standard Plus for matches, and practice with CCI or cheap Federal (the Federal 714 that Champion's Choice has is a bargin, and will shoot adequetely at 50ft). Obviously, I don't know the level of shooter your daughter is, but at my level, shooting 1150's at 50ft can be done without a problem using the SK Standard Plus. I have found that using a cheaper grade ammo for practice will not only save you money, but it will force you to work harder in practice to get the scores you are "aiming" for. BTW - I shoot a Winchester 52B.
Doug J

Post by Doug J »

I have been shooting a Walther (16 years) for a long time, and have just been trying out the lower grade Lapua ammos (master) with great success. I am down to a brick of my magic ammo so I have begun the process all over again. I have always had success with the Lapua (Dominator, Multimatch, Master) grades. Try a few out and see. Indoors I used some yellow box Eley that has turned out rather well (cleaning targets no problem). My rifle can be finicky. All ammo is not the same even inside. Good luck.

Doug
tim s

Post by tim s »

You might want to try the other brands that your local dealer has in stock. This may give you a greater choice of what to go for, one may outperform the Wolf. Eley is certainly worth a try, the Match EPS is very good, and seems to be fairly tolerant of barrels.

good luck

Tim S
Exter UK
Bored2Small

Post by Bored2Small »

I agree with trying the cheaper ammo first, i shoot a KK100 (that im selling by the way, and not looking forward to parting with it) useing CCI standard velocity and have cleaned many many 50 yard targets useing it. but a lot of that has to do with lots, since sometimes you just cant keep them in the black.

As for eley, I have yet to find a type that shoots well enough for me to get hooked on it (or justify the price difference) nor do i care for the smell just call me crazy..

Other brands that perform, that dont break the bank... Wolf or SK seem to do very well, mostly in warm weather but i also have to torque the action to 39 inch lbs before they start to pull in and then most often i shoot with it at 40 inch lbs which is 10 lbs more than the next highest. Next that i have had success with but trouble finding RWS which shoots well when its cold outside and seems to work best with a torque setting of 28-30 inch lbs

My bottom line matters to me, being a poor college student, so my first choice is to sit down with a powder scale, and sort through a box of CCI, lol but thats also because i have a lot of time between a couple classes and i refuse to study between them lol, and at $3.50 per hundred i still end up with money left over for something other than top ramen for dinner...

so yeah, get a torque wrench and several boxes of the stuff that you feel comfortable laying down the cash on and play around with it, im sure youll be suprized how much of a difference it makes if you dont do it already, i know i sure was...