Prone Rifle Set-up ??????

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Prone Rifle Set-up ??????

Post by Guest »

This question is primarily for the prone only shooters(I guess,...but not limited too) who shoot a rifle with a full buttplate assembly with a hook. I'm wondering what seems to be the norm , shooting with and utilizing the hook, or taking the hook portion of the assembly off, and utilizing just the plate portion of the assembly ? Also what are some of the advantages and/or disadvantages of both ways ? Just looking for some feedback in helping to decide what way to go,........Any info greatly appreciated, thanks
Done

Prone hook

Post by Done »

I know many people who do both - shoot with the hook and without. I prefer without, myself, since the hook seems to jab me in the ribs all the time when I use it in prone. Many others like it because it gives them a reference point that makes sure they have the butt plate in the same place for each shot. It really comes down to your personal preference - like so many other shooting decisions. Try both ways for awhile and see what feels better for you.
litz10x

Post by litz10x »

I also shot without my hooked buttplate in college. I never could really get into a good position with it but I was shooting an Anschutz 1907 standard rifle at the time. I agree, try it both ways and see which one floats your boat and is most comfortable. Good luck.

Steph