Other ways to recharge your cylinders?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ddtkid

Other ways to recharge your cylinders?

Post by ddtkid »

I'm new to PCP air rifles, and I have a couple of questions. I'm planning to buy a PCP air rifle, but I spoke to the scuba shop nearby. The owner said that he won't fill an O2 tank without a certified diver's card, even though I told him that I wasn't going to intend to use the tank for diving. The closest scuba shop is 35 minutes away, and the fire department won't fill a tank either. Should I just buy a hand pump? How reliable and effective are hand pumps? Or should I just purchase a single stroke pneumatic air rifle? I believe that I read somewhere that a shooter used an air compressor to fill his or her cylinders? Is this possible? Is this the same compressor you can purchase at Sears or hardware store? Thanks.
TWP

Post by TWP »

The problem with the hand pumps is that they pump moisture into your cylinder along with the air.

Guess I'm spoiled, we have several dive shops around here. One of them is run by a buy who supports junior shooting, at least a couple junior air rifle teams go to him for re-fills. He does it for free, along with the needed annual Visual Plus Inspections.

We make sure to send him pictures of the kids and thank you letters.

I really like the PCP guns, I'd say look around for another dive shop, you shouldn't have to refill the tanks that often. I have 7 kids shooting PCP's in our club any where from 1 to 3 nights a week. We fill a scuba tank (IIRC it's 70 cu ft) about once a month. I'd bet you only have to fill the tank once every 5 or 6 months depending upon how much you practice. Worst case you could buy 2 tanks.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

Ask around you probably have a friend with a dive card...

also, if you go in and talk to the shop owner and BUY the tank from HIM and explain all that is involved, he may make an exception for you, perhaps he'll mark your tank "not for breathing", make you sign a release or something like that.

I shoot a lot and I'm still using the air that was in the tank when i got it a year ago, so you won't often be looking for air.

Also, find out where the paint pellet guys get their tanks filled, maybe a paint pellet shop has a compressor or they know a gun-friendly scuba shop to refer you to

it is REALLY nice to not have to mess with a pump.

But the best gun you can afford, it will be compressed air, NOT CO2 or pump. Morini 162ei seems to be the one,

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/

Post by Guest »

The shooters that I know have NO trouble with the pumps. Have used them for a couple of years; just follow instructions.
What types of shooting do you plan to do? If you are doing three position, then you do NOT want a single stroke - its really inconvenient in prone & kneeling.
Don't overlook CO2, especially if you are buying used - can get good deals, and there is nothing wrong with CO2, might be easier for you to find a weld shop or fire extinguisher place to fill it.
mjfa

Post by mjfa »

FX Airguns manufactures two air compressors for charging PCP guns and SCUBA tanks although not for breathing. They can go up to the necessary 3,000 PSI, something a Craftsman or Campbell & Hausfeld can't reach, and are sold at around $1000 and $1500 respectevely. A better SCUBA air compressor such as a Bauer or Mako entry model start at around $3000. The most economical solution is find a SCUBA shop, Gotcha store or Fire Station that will be able to fill your air tank, a hand pump equiped with filter and desicant that won't cost you more than $300 with the additions, or take a SCUBA Open Water training and get certified. I would take any of this actions before settle down to an SSP gun. Just my opinion.
Last edited by mjfa on Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveT

Hand Pump vs. SCUBA

Post by SteveT »

I have used a hand pump for about 3 years with no complaints. I only shoot pistol and rarely shoot more than once a week, so my useage is minimal. It takes about 50 strokes (3 minutes) to refill my pistol cylinder after a 70-100 shot session. It might be difficult to keep everything filled if I was shooting everyday, or if I was shooting field target rifles. Also, if you weigh less than ~150lbs you should be able to get enough air in the cylinder to shoot, but you may not get all the way up to 200bar. I weigh 175lbs and I have to really lean on the last few strokes.

I am a member of a club that has air and CO2 tanks and will refill for $1. If you can find a club in the area that may be a possibility.

Steve T (IL)
Lucho

depends on how much you shoot

Post by Lucho »

I have a large steel tank, so it is filled to 3000 psi.

I shoot about 60 per session three or four times a week. I have to have the tank filled about once a year. So the 35 minute drive might not be that bad once a year.

Or see if yu can find a friend with a dive card.

Lucho
atr

Post by atr »