Looking for solution to skinned elbows in prone.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Southpaw

Looking for solution to skinned elbows in prone.

Post by Southpaw »

I'm usually good for up to six prone targets (120 rounds) and then the skin starts to disintegrate on my elbows resulting in a major distraction to good shooting.

I wear a typical shooting jacket and usually wear a cotton/poly blend sweat shirt underneath. Works pretty well until the temperature gets into the 85F+ range. The susequent perspiration softens up the elbows and before long the sluffing takes place and the agony begins.

I've tried large bandaids, gauze with duct tape, etc. and have yet to find a satisfactory solution. I was thinking that a smooth snug fitting synthetic shirt, similiar to a cyclists' may be the answer. It would hopefully slide while supporting the skin, perhaps!

Any ideas would be appreciated. What do you folks wear?

Regards,
Southpaw
Mark Woodard

Skinned Elbow

Post by Mark Woodard »

Hello, Southpaw.

The main rule of thumb is that if you're skinning your elbow, then you're too far forward on the tip of your elbow. Move your position back (thus, the bottom of your elbow forward) where you are resting more on the back/bottom side of your elbow. This will involve some tweaking of your position and hold, but is well worth the effort in terms of comfort.

Fellow Southpaw,
Mark Woodard
peach10x

Mark W. from Wa State?

Post by peach10x »

Mark-

Are you from Western Washington? If so, this is Stephanie Litz (Goeden). Thought I'd say hey. I got an email from Steph Crossman the other day and I asked her if she knew how everyone was doing from the good ol' days of junior shooting.

:) Steph
Southpaw

Skinned 'bows

Post by Southpaw »

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what you mean. I'll have to wait 'til I heal before giving some tweaking a try. I already seem to have my right elbow (I shoot rifle right-handed) as far forward as possible (dictated by the strain on my shoulder) but I'll see what adjustments I can make.
I'm still wondering if there is a undergarment that works well in hot weather?

Southpaw
Albert

Post by Albert »

Question to the skinned elbows: what is the hardness of the surface you were laying on? ISSF Rules state that it is allowed to use a shooting mat to make things more comfortable.
Albert
(The Netherlands)
tim s

padding

Post by tim s »

You might consider wearing elbow pads, or a proper shooting sweater with built in padding, instead of just the sweatshirt.

When I first got my Monard jacket I found that my old sweater was not thick enough. A pair of slip-on pads solved that.

Mouche, as well as their ordianry cotton sweaters, market the "bodycool" range. I beleive that these use a synthetic material to prevent the build up of heat. They also have padding that would further help.

Tim S

Exeter UK
seemehaha

undergarmets

Post by seemehaha »

i would try underarmor, the kind made for hot weather. it would be smooth on your elbow, and wicks away moisture and body heat. i would wear it under whatever you use for a sweater, for a little extra cushion.
Southpaw

underwear

Post by Southpaw »

I'll check out underamour(I presume that's a brand).

To answer Alberts earlier question - I use a regulation ISSF mat that I have built up with an extra 3/4 in. of noncompressable foam.

I know that part of the problem is that I cannot reload without partially lowering the gun. I have to move my right arm a little, and over the course of a match my left arm/elbow needs to be pulled in a bit. The movement inside the jacket is very little but obviously enough to inflame the skin, made worse but perspiration in very hot conditions.

Thanks for the replys so far.
Southpaw
TomW

Sore Elbow

Post by TomW »

Southpaw

I suffer from a similar problem although not quite to the same extent as you. Summers here are in the 100 degree F range with very high humidity and wearing a shooting jacket et al is a real ordeal.

I have mostly solved my problem by the following means:

1. Rubbing lanoline into the elbow every night
2. When I shoot I put a conformable elastic bandage of quite large size on the elbow and wear a flexible elbow protector over that (you can pick htese up at your local pharmacy).
3. Then the Mouche undergarment and then the jacket.

Hope this helps some

Regards
Tom
Tom
Mark Woodard

Skinned Elbow

Post by Mark Woodard »

Southpaw:

If you observe any of the established shooting orgs (ISSF, US Olympic Shooting, USAMU, etc.) you would be very hard-pressed to find anyone using elbow pads. Reason: IT'S THE POSITION. The back side of your elbow is a much more stable (flat) platform from which to shoot. Also, be sure that your elbow is directly in line with, and directly under, your rifle. Hope this helps.

Mark
from TX
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

Hmmm... most of the XTC and LR shooters around here that are at Master and High Master class (including some former national champions, Palma team members, coaches, etc.) swear by using small knee pads on the elbows... supposedly better/more padding than regular elbow pads. Given the variety of firing points around here, ranging from grassy knolls to concrete to pea gravel to whatever-was-handy-and-cheap, I must say I'm starting to look into a pair myself.

That said, every one that I've spoken w/ also advocates stretching the left arm out so that you are resting on the back of the elbow, rather than the point.

Monte
Southpaw

skinned 'bows

Post by Southpaw »

Thanks for the replies.

I'll work on my position as soon as I heal.

Regards,
Southpaw
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I know several prone only shooters that take a piece or two of thick moleskin (Dr. Sholes (sp?)) and put it on their elbows.
Southpaw

skinned 'bows

Post by Southpaw »

Thanks Paul. I'll have a look at moleskin as well.

Southpaw
Spencer C

Re: Looking for solution to skinned elbows in prone.

Post by Spencer C »

Southpaw wrote:
Any ideas would be appreciated. What do you folks wear?

Regards,
Southpaw
Somewhat surprised that nobody has suggested toughening up the skin on the elbow...

Any of the procedures used to toughen up the skin on your feet when stuck in boot camp should work. A solution of epsom salts is probably the most hygenic.

Spencer C