Good SSP for home training

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

lilabner

Good SSP for home training

Post by lilabner »

I know little about air rifles, and need help in selecting an accurate SSP for daily home practice. I shoot standing only. Since most quality rifles made now are CO2 or precharge air, I will consider older rifles. I need advice on appropriate makes and models to check out, and approximate market values.
VladB

Post by VladB »

I have a Walther LG90 for sale. Here is a link to pictures and description: http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?f ... 1088649348
Victor

Choosing a Rifle

Post by Victor »

The Feinwerkbau (FWB) 601 to 603 series rifle is a single stroke pneumatic (SSP). You may be able to find a used one as people in general seem to be "upgrading" to pre-charged pneumatic (PCP)/compressed air rifles, and their used SSP rifles are offered up for sale. You should expect to pay anywhere between $800-$1100 (US) for a FWB 600 series rifle, depending on the age, model and condition of the rifle.
Another option is the FWB 300. This is a single-stroke spring operated rifle, with a recoil dampening mechanism. It is older (1970's) technology, but quite elegant and probably just as "accurate". Expect to pay $600-$850 or so, again depending on the gun. Check out the airgun classified ads at www.airguns.net- FWB 600-series and FWB 300 rifles are occasionally posted for sale. Have fun shooting!
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Exactly what are you practicing for? Makes a difference. I had a Avanti 753 which is a single pump Pneumatic. Pumping makes you loose position in all three positions, they taught us that was a BAD thing in Coaching class. In that respect even a Dasiy 888 is better than a higher priced pneumatic.

Mike
Wichita KS
lilabner

Post by lilabner »

Hi, Mike
I'm not an airgun competitor but that could change, I suppose. I shoot offhand because I enjoy the challenge. Shoot silhouette some, sporter class smallbore. I'd like a self contained rifle without weird recoil effect that doesn't require tanks, pumps, all that stuff. A good, clean breaking trigger is very important to me.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Since you're shooting in the offhand position only, I would suggest that a pneumatic gun isn't a bad option. I would also suggest that you NOT get the RWS guns which have the dual recoil.

I don't know how much money you want to spend, but I have a BSA air gun scope which works fairly well. I also have an RWS which I don't like that well. The Avanti Valiant is a very good gun, I think it would take a scope O.K. Haven't tried it though.

Mike
Wichita KS