Iris

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Iris

Post by Guest »

I have been considering on buying a rear iris but i have no idea which one to get as there are too many in the market. I shoot both air and smallbore. Any suggestions? thks alot..
1813benny

iris

Post by 1813benny »

My recommendation is one such as the Gehman 510. It is a simple rear iris fully adjustable for a wide range of lighting conditions.

I strongly recommend staying away from the super combo setups that have polarizers, filters etc built right into them. The reason for this is that they are pretty complex and if you drop them, they often have one of the internal components shatter and it is pretty much trash at that point.
In addition, much of the bells and whistles are overkill for most shoooters.

If you want any polarization for bright days with the sun directly on the target, get a single stage polarizer that screws into the front of your sight as a sun shade.

As for filters, I stay away from them,as they only reduce the amount of available light that is transmitted through the sight. They work for some, however I believe you have enough things to worry about when you are setting up a rifle or shooting a match You don't need to add color selection for filters as another headache.

Other manufacturers include Centra and Anschutz. Just make sure that the one you order is the correct thread size for your model rear sight. (I currently own 3 Gehman 510's and one Centra)
-Ken
Samt

Iris

Post by Samt »

I agree with u Ken, but at the same time, how does the centra iris compare to the gehmann ones as u have both?
Thks.
1813benny

iris - gehman vs centra

Post by 1813benny »

To be honest, I have only used the Gehmans on my rifles. The Centra was just a moment of weakness while on commercial row at Perry a few years ago.

As for several other shooters that I know well, they all like their Centra iris. As a side note, they also only have the basic model. What is nice about the Centra system is that if you really want filters and such, they can be added later with a ring that screws onto the back of the sight. If you scratch or mess up a filter, you can just get a replacement.
-Ken

Gehmann vs Centra

Post by Guest »

thks Ken..ic that means the gehmann 568MC and the centra Copetition 1.8 is abit excessive...

Post by Guest »

I prefer the centras. I like to put my blinder on my sight and the centras have that little spring loaded disk that holds the blinder very nicely.