Muzzle velocity 2002ca

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

David Jeffries

Muzzle velocity 2002ca

Post by David Jeffries »

My daughter shoots a 2002 ca and I was curious what muzzle velocity this rifle should have and how consistant. Also I was wondering how often should one consider having the rifle sent in and reworked, seals etc...
smhagger

Chrony Results of Anschutz CA 2002 Alu

Post by smhagger »

David,

The short answer to your question: for 10 shots using unlubed (straight out of the tin) RWS R10 Heavy Pellets (8.2 grains) my average velocity was 609.2 feet/sec (fps) with and extreme spread (fastest (610.4) minus slowest (608.1) velocities over the 10 shots) of 2.3 fps and a standard deviation of 0.704 fps.

This was just a random check with the pressure in the "green" range on the pressure guage. I have not done any studies of velocity over an entire charge--I really haven't needed to because me zero has never shown any signs of shifting on me. I have been very pleased with my rifle's performance. My rifle has really been maintenance free over the last 2 years (approx. 5000 rounds plus a lot a bunch of dry firing). I've not needed any servicing to date.

FYI, I have the aluminum stock version precharge (remove the bottle to refill) of the 2002 CA (the latest version prior to the 9003 being released). The action is identical to the wood stocked version so the results should be similar. Of course, the velocity will be different if you are using a heavier or lighter pellet--but roughly the same energy level. For your info, my guns power is as set from the factory--this gun has never been tampered with after purchase.

If you want an actual Excel file with the data, send me an email at seanh@huscointl.com and I'll email you the file. On the file I also tested Crosman premier 10.5 grain pellets unlubed (for 5 shots-- avg velocity was 520.7 fps, Extreme spread = 5.5 fps) and lubed (for 5 shots-- avg velocity was 534.7 fps, Extreme spread = 5.9 fps) just for the data. I'm a mechanical engineer who works with hydraulics, in case you wondering why I have all this data ;-) .

Let me know if you want the file and I"ll send it to you.

Sean
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

David:

My 2002 runs around 570fps with deviations similar to what Sean has seen with his- about +/- 2fps.

As far as service if you call any of the folks who service these things they will give you recommended service intervals which are based somewhat on how much use the rifle gets. I personally don't have any world cup matches in my near future so I sort-of take shoot it until it messes up attitude. I got mine used and have had it for about 2 years and no problems.

I did have one small problem with the cylinder threads galling a little. This can turn into a big problem if not addressed but I put a bit of toilet bowl ring wax on the threads and that problem went away.
David Jeffries

Muzzle velocity 2002ca

Post by David Jeffries »

Thanks, pdeal and smhagger I will e-mail you for that info. My daughter shoots fairly often about 15000 pellets a year. We have had this rifle for 2 years and I am considering sending it in after the National's both in Columbus and in Bowling Green to let pilkguns do a work over. I am a mechanic by trade and I know the importance of preventative maintenance if done correctly.