riser blocks for sights

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

H2DE

riser blocks for sights

Post by H2DE »

how do you know if you need to use riser blocks on your sights on 10meter rifles? My position looks like most of the views in the book "ways of the rifle" except for the position of my head when looking down the barrel of the gun toward the shooter. My head is more angled than those in the book. I 'am a average shooter and wonder if straighting my head to a more upright position would help my score. Thanks for any help that uyou gentel men and ladies can give me. don H.
Don W.

Head position

Post by Don W. »

Don: You should keep your head upright as much as possible, and if this means that you need riser blocks, then get them. I had to do this on my sb and air rifle both, and it helped. Don't know if the score improved all that much, but the position is more comfortable. Hope this helps.
H2DE

riser blocks

Post by H2DE »

Thanks for the heads up about my head position don. Now that it is in theoff season I will try to find some blocks for my rifle.
Don W.

Head

Post by Don W. »

Don: No problem. Glad to help. D.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

And don't worry about needing blocks - I mean, if Debevec can shoot like this, one or two risers won't worry you ;)

tenpointnine

Post by tenpointnine »

Sparks

How old is this picture? When did he start using a Feinwerkbau ?

Walter
Val

Post by Val »

Carton of milk in my fridge is older than this picture :)
Moe Draznin

head position

Post by Moe Draznin »

There is a reason why you need to keep your head as upright as possible
If your head is titlted, you loose your balance. Which will affect your hold.
First, try and cant your gun and keep your head upright. if thats not enough then get the riser blocks.

Moe.
Donald McIntosh

Post by Donald McIntosh »

tenpointnine wrote:Sparks

Walter
The picture was taken by me at the Grand Prix of Liberation in Plzen, CZE less than two weeks ago, and has been "borrowed" off the SSRA website without permission, which is a little naughty!

He's been using the FWB for a few years, certainly was shooting it in 2002 when I shot beside him at the Sydney WC, suspect he changed post-Olympics?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Donald McIntosh wrote:
tenpointnine wrote:Sparks
Walter
The picture was taken by me at the Grand Prix of Liberation in Plzen, CZE less than two weeks ago, and has been "borrowed" off the SSRA website without permission, which is a little naughty!
Sorry Donald, didn't see it on the SSRA site, I saw it mentioned on Stirton.com! Mae maxima culpa though, I should have remembered to check it!
He's been using the FWB for a few years, certainly was shooting it in 2002 when I shot beside him at the Sydney WC, suspect he changed post-Olympics?
It's not just the rifle either - the last time I saw Debevec in person was the World Cup in Munich in 2001, and he's added what looks like at least an inch in raiser blocks to his rifle since then, and IIRC, it was a single custom raiser block I saw him use at Munich.

But then, Debevec's shooting style is... somewhat unorthodox ;)
I mean, a post foresight, a trigger hand position that means he's almost pointing his trigger finger at his chest to reach the trigger, a kneeling position with his right knee off the ground by at least an inch, and the man still puts down deep ten's like there was no nine ring on his target?
*awed look*
Man's got talent...
H2DE

riser blocks

Post by H2DE »

You are right about the head needing to be up right to help with your balanve ,but isn't there a limit on height for 10 meter guns? Ihave seen some strange stances that work for some shooters but they are not the norm. Do any of you remenber what the height limit on line of sights for air rifle is? Don H.
bruce

Post by bruce »

http://www.issf-shooting.com/Rules/spec ... _rifle.htm
page 9
shows maximum of 40mm from centre line of bore to the centre
of fore sight ring or top of post.
which I think would mean a riser of about 12mm max for AR