gun case

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Michael

gun case

Post by Michael »

I'm thinking of buying a new gun case. Mine is about 20 years old by Doskocil - I got it with the rifle.

I was thinking about the Dskosport all-weather double scoped rifle case (cat. # 10819).

Can I have your opinion please.
Lucho

gun case

Post by Lucho »

My friends flight with SKB cases. They seem much better than my Doskocil case.

A double rifle case is about $150. The have wheels, good latched, and lots of padding.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I am happy with my Pelican 1750. A lot of people use them so there must be something to it.

Adam
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I own two of the Doskosport, but not the one you're discussing. I like it a lot. On the other hand, one of our students has the two rifle SKB that costs more than $100.00, but it's worth the extra. If you plan to shoot a lot, and plan on using the case for whatever is going to the range today, then I would blow the extra. If you're buying a case per gun, then I might not.

Just my $0.02

Mike
Wichita KS
Randy

Case

Post by Randy »

I own an SKB and ICC double rifle case and I like the ICC aluminum case better they are about the same price. If you own a relatively inexpensive gun I suppose spending alot of money on a case dosen't make much sense. However, if you own a target gun that costs between a $1000-$2500 dollar range it is hard for me to understand why someone would want to trust putting their hard earned dollars in a cheap case. That's like a friend of mine who bought a $1200 rifle only to put a $40 BSA scope on it. The first thing that happend after he fired the first few shots is that the cross hairs broke.

I have owned several Doskocil cases and for trips where the case aren't going to be dropped or tossed around I guess they are okay, but if you are going onto airlines these cases aren't generally secure enough. First of all the foam in most of the Doskocil cases isn' enough to prevent the guns from sliding inside the cases. I have noticed that one of the new Doskocil cases have straps inside the case to remedy this problem. However, the second problem I have seen in general with the cases is that they aren't tough enough to standup to the punishment that a baggage handler can put the case thru. As an example, I have a friend who used to be on the San Diego SWAT Team and they where transporting their MP5s in Pelican cases, which was a good thing, and the baggage handlers where using the cases as step ladders to throw the rest of the baggage into the plane. I have kids in our club who carry there own guns in a cheap $40 gun case and they are tossing and dropping their $1400 rifles in these cases. I know for certain that the rifles are banging around inside these cases because the foam inserts aren't enough to keep the rifles from sliding into the sides. The ICC cases have enough foam in them that they aren't going to move and after certain period of time the foam will mold itself in the shape of the rifle. I also like the Pelican cases because they have a very good reputation of being tough and reliable to protect your investment. The SKB cases are also very tough and reliable protection.

The gun cases main function is to protect your investment. Therefore, the questions you have to ask yourself are what conditions is this case going to be subjected to and is the case durable enough to protect the gun under those conditions.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

If you plan to fly with your rifle, I think the way to go would be the Pelican case, and cut the foam around it so it doesn't slide anywhere.

I understand the idea, but I don't know how you are supposed to cut the foam. Scissors?

Mike
Wichita KS
Randy

Case

Post by Randy »

The last time I looked a Pelican Case and their are others were the foam is faintly already cut into small pieces so that all you have to do is pull-out the desired pieces of foam. If not then a good sharp knife with a point generally works. I suppose their are some bladed power tools that will also work.
Dan Hankins

Cutting foam

Post by Dan Hankins »

I have had very good results cutting foam of all densities with an electric carving knife. The two bladed ones with serriated blades cut very cleanly, and you can still use it to cut meats and fowl.

Respectfully,
Bubba
Paedagogus

Case Foam

Post by Paedagogus »

I've had problems with uncut/egg-crate foam and perforated foam wearing out with a lot of use. There is a local company that will hot wire poly (ethylene?) for any case, providing you with a custom fit for what ever equipment and case you choose. I recommend it. We had a foot locker fitted with three layers of custom cut foam with many compartments for about $100. Everything goes in it's place, and the custom cut poly doesn't wear out like the other stuff since it fits properly, and is inherently more durable. The poly does add just a little weight.

Post by guest »

the starlight cases from sams club are identical to the pelican cases almost in fact i like them better. they are double scoped rifles cases with 3 layers of foam that u can cut out to fit your rifle. they come with boxcutters to do this. they are also watertight and have wheels. They sell for about 150 from the maker but sams club somehow was selling them for $69, when i went back they were all sold out. i own two of these and recommend them greatly.
Bill Poole

TSA gorillas

Post by Bill Poole »

I watched a baggage handler toss my Starlight on the ground between flights in Denver today.... I shuddered, but I think I have it packed well enough so i don't need to worry.

I haven't opened it you tho.... wait here....

OK, I just looked, everything is where it started and everthing looks fine....

What REALLY bothered me tho, was the highly trained TSA inspector in Atlanta who ransacked thru the case at 5:30 this morning.... to him all those little pieces of disassembled Anschutz were just junk to be tossed around as he dug thru the foam cut outs and swabbed for (explosives residue?.... how can there NOT be gunpowder residue on a rifle)

I will recut the foam so that the bolt and other small, expensive parts are held more captively. (I cut the foam with the longish razor blade box cutter starlight provided. It is a little ragged, but not bad. Years ago I made a hotwire foam cutter with a piece of steel resistive wire and a power supply, cleaner, but its more trouble to set up, a VERY meticulous pistol shooter I met at Prado used a 2" exacto knife, cardboard patterns and a straight edge for one of the nicest boxes I've ever seen)

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
a4ester

Post by a4ester »

Ditto the comment about using an electric carving knife. They work real well. I didn't have one so I looked at the local Goodwill Store and found one for a couple of bucks.

Re: TSA gorillas

Post by Guest »

Bill Poole wrote:I
What REALLY bothered me tho, was the highly trained TSA inspector in Atlanta who ransacked thru the case at 5:30 this morning.... to him all those little pieces of disassembled Anschutz were just junk to be tossed around as he dug thru the foam cut outs and swabbed for (explosives residue?.... how can there NOT be gunpowder residue on a rifle)
Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
How about putting the smaller parts in a plastic box - like a pencil box - with foam in that, and then snuggling THAT box into the gun case foam. Might help keep all those little bits & pieces with the big price tags from getting too badly tossed around.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Does anyone know anything about an orange colored Pelican case manufactured about 4-5 years ago?

Someone contacted me saying he has such a case for sale, so I looked in Pelican's website but didn't find any item matching that description.