Back Injury Recovery Times 3p & Air....Help!!!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Doug J

Back Injury Recovery Times 3p & Air....Help!!!

Post by Doug J »

Seven weeks ago, I had Microlumbar Surgery on a herniated disk in my lower back. I have been out of work for 2 months, and recovering nicely but I am beginning to worry about my shooting career. I have moderate nerve damage in my leg (from my ankle down has been pins an needles since before entering the hospital), but little actual back pain. I went to the range today, and was unable to get through 10 rounds with my customized 10-22 in offhand (due to back pain). Has anyone had experience with this surgery and returned successfully to smallbore? The doctor told me that my relatively young age (28) will slow the healing process due to the density of my muscle mass. I will be starting rehab in the next few weeks so hopefully I will be back on track soon. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Johnston
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

There is hope, but you have to accept reality, you won't be like you were before your injury.

I have a torn (luckily not herniated) disk betweel L4 and L5.

At first I could not stand holding any rifle...even standing hurt. And vicadim only made me so dizzy I could not stand.

After a lot of rest and rehab, I can shoot now...if i'm careful.
I always wear a backbelt from Home Depot to support my lower back, and prevent me from bending it. This also helps support the back when I'm holding a rifle. I sometime even use it when shooting my air pistol. This belt is not competiton legal...so forget competition, or you will need to discuss this and get approval from the match directors and get a letter from your doctor.

Now the NRA shooting jacket (vs international rules) is TIGHT and should provide good support to you.

Find a physical therapist that understands shooting and will work w you. Mine even let me bring my air rifle into the place, cased of course, and we only uncased the rifle in a closed examining room. They examined the stance and evaluated where the stress was and tailored the therapy to help w my shooting.

Also find a GOOD coach that understands physical injury and will work with you to work around your injury.

Equipment may have to change. For a long time I could only shoot a lightweight junior air rifle, anything heavier HURT. Finally my back is strong enough that w the back belt I can support a full size air rifle.

You might have to swtich to shooting a lightweight air rifle (no recoil) until you recover enough to shoot the .22.

You are YOUNG, whatever you do, don't make the rest of your life even worse by screwing up you back even more than it is.

gud luk from one back injured person to another
Gary
Doug J

Back Injury

Post by Doug J »

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I return to the Doctor today, and we are going to be scheduling rehab. I brought my copy of the Way of the Rifle so that I can show him exactly what I do. Hopefully all will turn out well. I have already begun looking at ways of reducing weight on all of my guns, and I am sending my Trap gun out to have a Gracoil Recoil Reduction system in that to protect my back as much as possible.

Doug
Adam

Post by Adam »

Like Gary said, find a physical therapist that understands shooting. If you are not 100% confident in them, find another. Don't be afraid to tell them this. These people are there to serve you and if you aren't happy with them you have every right to go to someone else.