Basic Beginner Ammo

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JPM

Basic Beginner Ammo

Post by JPM »

Our club is moving our air rifle team out to the 50 yard range over the summer to have some fun. We have a collection of old Anschultz and Mossberg target rifles, nothing too modern or fancy.

What would be a good choice for practice ammo? I was thinking Wolf Match Target from Champions Choice at $28 per 500 rounds.

How about the Federal 711B??

Jim
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

We use the CMP ammo for the real beginners- I think it is about $100 for 6500 rounds.

Post by Guest »

The Wolf would be a good choice. 711B USED TO perform decently (I have seen very nice groups fired at 50 meters, by junior shooters), but the key words are "used to". Since Federal got sold & resold (?), the ammo has gone downhill. If you have any of the old cartons (circa Atlanta Olympics), they should be fine for your use.
sbarnum

beginner ammo

Post by sbarnum »

The CMP ammo that was mentioned above groups well through our Anschutz and Marlin rifles. The CMP junior camp has issued it in the past and the performance is good. It's probably the most cost effective for a club program.

Indoors - it can nearly clean the A-36 targets with our 1903's
Curt

federal

Post by Curt »

My school uses federal high velocity for practice. its just fine for practice, but we use lapua for matches. in the offseason, I use some of the leftover federal and wolf match. I used some winchester supe x the other day and that more than served its purpose.

hope this helps
JPM

Post by JPM »

Curt - What school?? I am originally from the Hershey area and just curious.

I ended up buying Wolf. Still waiting for delivery.

JPM
Curt

EHS

Post by Curt »

I shoot at Emmaus High School. We placed third in our division by i think 3/10ths of a point from second.

The wolf is a good choice.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

I recommend the Federal for beginners, however if the shooters are more advanced, seriously consider a better grade of ammunition.

I like RWS Target the best for training. It is a little more expensive than Wolf, however it is very clean shooting and if you get a good lot, it can also be used for informal matches. Other options instead of RWS would be the Wolf or SK.

Tailor the grade of the ammunition to the purpose. If they are good shooters, they may become frustrated if the ammo is sub-par to their abilities. - benny