Clothes under shooting coat & pants

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gunsmoke77802

Clothes under shooting coat & pants

Post by gunsmoke77802 »

What should you wear under neath your shooting clothes? Here in Texas you'll break a sweat reguardless what time of year it is. My coat now is difficult to remove due to either being to tight in the arms or not coming off because I am sweating. What do you wear under pants? I tried a long sleeve cotton t-shirt when it was cooler and my coat pushed the sleeves up to my elbow area. Very unsatisfactory to have all of that bunched up at the elbows. Some help please? After the rules come out I'd like to buy a new set but need to know what to wear under to take measurements for.

thanks

Jay
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

sounds like your coat is too small

Here in Arid-Zona.... when we do our summer High Power Practice at Ben Avery in the sun at 115C (it feels like 115C, but I think it is really 115F) we wear the SAME one or two sweatshirts under the coat that we wear every other day of the year.

The sweatshirt is to dampen the pulse and smooth out the contact between the coat and the body. NRA rules allow almost anything

There are ISSF rules about how MUCH stuff you can wear under the international coat, I'm new enuf to the game that I can't quote them.... I wear a light sweatshirt and a slightly heavier sweatshirt... which, when I won it at a match, the National Team members sitting near me assured me was "legal".

good shooting

Poole

ohhhhh and it feels sooooooooooo nice to take that coat and sweatshirts off after a 20 minute summer shooting string....
j.edwards

Post by j.edwards »

I'm a fat guy shooting in Southern California. I've had really good results with Mouche Body Cool undergarments from Center Shot. They're not air conditioning, but they make a serious differnce for the better.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm also an overweight guy - from Israel where in the summet it's not only hot but also humid (sort of like New York). If your jacket is the right size under ISSF Rules there's plenty of air circulating within the jacket. Mouche Body Cool is a very good idea. There are other brands as well, like Thune.
Thomas Monto

Under Clothes

Post by Thomas Monto »

Try Under Armour. Comes in summer and winter types. (available at Cabella's & Dicks amoung other locations) Does the job. The important thing is to get the sweat evaporated which cools the body. Most cotton clothing holds the moisture against your skin thus not allowing the evaporation. That's where the new synthetics really come onto their own. Heat stroke can be life threatning and you need to get the core cooled down quickly. It seems that almost every year someone has heat stroke at Perry. Drinking fluids and keeping hydrated helps. Avoid caffine and alcohol.
TM
Adam

Re: Under Clothes

Post by Adam »

Another vote for Under Armour. You can visit their website here: http://www.underarmour.com/

The McDavid stuff is good as well.
TomW

Post by TomW »

This is an issue that has caused me a lot of real physical distress this last summer here in Brisbane Australia. Shooting indoor, in a non-airconditioned range, in temps around the 100 degree F and humidity of around 90% with a shooting jacket on is sheer bloody murder. Ad to it the so-called"cooling" undergear and I am usually ready for a hospital visit after about 10 minutes.

Although it is not legal, next summer I intend wearing true cooling vests under my jacket (the ones that you cool down in a freezer first), so that I can get through a match without collapsing. Others can protest their heads off about it but I intend wearing it and that is that - otherwise shooting becomes a purely winter sport for me.

This is an issue that the ISSF SHOULD examine rather than nitpicking about the support ttrousers offer.
Tom