Pain in the ahhh leg

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jim

Pain in the ahhh leg

Post by Jim »

Daughter is 13, shoots well except for kneeling.
In kneeling she has pain that runs right along her shin (on the kneeling leg side, as in the one with the knee on the floor).
Anyway, she has tried different sized rolls and also putting the roll in different locations under the leg but to no avail. As a matter of fact, if she places the roll away from the ankle toward the knee the pain extends to the knee.
Ideas/suggestions??
Thanks

Jin in Newark, DE
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I think the best suggestion is to consult your local GP. I'd guess that she's pinching a nerve in her position, but at her age, you shouldn't take risks with unqualified medical diagnoses. Besides, it's surprising how helpful your GP can be with problems like that.
gmsych

Post by gmsych »

sounds as an excessive stretch problem, which is surprising considering the age. two ways to address such pain: (1) reduce the Rt (assuming Rt-handed shooter) ankle plantarflexion (seek roll size and roll placement that will produce approx. "natural angle" in her ankle joint), and (2) set up the sole of her Rt boot vertically (as oppose to letting the heel "roll", especially outwards). also, little stretching should be of great help, e.g. sitting on the heel without the roll/boot, i suggest a cushion or a couch
gmsych

Post by gmsych »

Sparks wrote:I think the best suggestion is to consult your local GP. I'd guess that she's pinching a nerve in her position, but at her age, you shouldn't take risks with unqualified medical diagnoses. Besides, it's surprising how helpful your GP can be with problems like that.
Sparks, reading this and some other of your posts on the kneeling, you tend to exaggerate some risks of injuries… unless you have some good examples of how this position can be a serious thread to a shooter’s health?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

gmsych wrote:Sparks, reading this and some other of your posts on the kneeling, you tend to exaggerate some risks of injuries? unless you have some good examples of how this position can be a serious thread to a shooter?s health?
This is a thirteen-year-old girl we're talking about here, don't forget. Adult joints can have adverse reactions to repetitive abnormal stress, as would be caused by a problem with position - but a child's joints aren't that robust. Now it's possible that it's a perfectly good position she's in and this is a minor problem - but I don't want to be the one who says "erra, sure an'she'll be grand, don't worry about it" and thereby contributes to a permanent injury, especially when I can't even see the position being talked about.

Remember, we have pain for a reason - to let us know that something is wrong. Not to be endured.

And for the record, I am not exaggerating the risk of injury, especially given the age involved here.
Moe Draznin

Kneeling.

Post by Moe Draznin »

My son is also 13. he has been growing very fast during the last 6-8 month. He also complains about pain. it turns out that he has pain in his knees even when he is not kneeling - growing too fast pains. Ask your dauther more questions...
I have coached quit a few teenagers, they all complain about their knees!
Some more then aothers.

Make sure she loosen up the shoe on the right leg espacially make sure the Knott is not there.

make sure she streaches before getting in position and also when she is done and gets up do it slowly and streach the knee and calf slowly.

We have been using 2 IBProphen before my son shoots - he says it helps.

He also practices sitting in Kneeling position when he watches TV 15 -20 min at the time - you build the tolerance to the position and streach those muscles.

Moe.
deleted1

Knee Pains

Post by deleted1 »

Yes I had knee pains as a growing boy, and I have them now as a "more mature" (old) man, especially when getting out of the kneeling position. All of what has been said about knee pains with child and adult shooters---from periods of time spent in the kneeling position is quite true. Of course if the use of a kneeling roll, knee pads, and/or a padded shooting mat still doesn't do the job. Then the next course of action would be to either see an orthopedist and have the leg evaluated----OR-- try to determine if the child really doesn't really want to shoot anymore. Having worked a good portion of my life in pediatric counselling, this is often a way a child chooses to signal their disaffection with some event in their lives--IMHO as always.
Curt

knee pains

Post by Curt »

I am 15 years old, and have developing arthritis in my knees. Thus far, I have not been able to stay in position long enough to get a shot off. My knees only hurt when they are bent and have weight on them. Any suggestions? Under NRA rules, I could substitute in the next hardest position (OH), but if anyone has had a problem like this and got it solved, please post a private message or another response to this topic.
Thanks
Curt

Post by Guest »

If you can shoot the other kneeling position, without the roll, it would take the weight off the knee and spread it along the foot and leg. This involves putting the out side of foot flat on the ground, and sitting on it. (Use the mat, too). Other position adjustments are neccesary due to lower position, but it may be an alternative to giving up on kneeling altogether.
However, it doesn't give you relief from bending the knee.