What to look for when buying a used match air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Sid Post

What to look for when buying a used match air rifle

Post by Sid Post »

I am looking at most of the popular dealer sites for used match air rifles. I also look at places like this one, Brad Troyer's site, and some of the auction sites.

What I am having difficulty with is evaluating a rifle from distance through pictures, the sellers words (sometime very good and complete and sometimes minimal like they are selling something they don't understand).

If I was lucky enough to find one used from a reputable dealer, then problem solved as I feel most would be able to ask me the right questions and walk me through the sale. Then if I received the rifle and it just didn't fit, an acceptable return or exchange policy would take care of the financial aspects of the tranaction.

I am looking primarily for an Anschutz rifle but, FWB and Steyr are viable alternatives. A Single Stroke Pnuematic is a good option for me but, I would prefer a pre-charged rifle. I am starting to see some compressed air rifles that are entering the SSP used pricepoints. What I don't know is what is a good value. In value, I include costs beyond the immediate sales price for things like reasonable expected maintanence, sights, flucuations in currency value and new rifles coming out affecting price, and other related issues.

Also, what questions do I need to ask the seller and myself to help increase the chance of getting myself the "right" rifle the first time. I'm not so much asking about avoiding fraudulent sellers but, more about myself and my knowledge to ask the good questions and really understands the answers that I get to help me evaluate the rifle in question from a distance.

THANKS!
Sid
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

where in AZ are you? I am in North Scottsdale

I have a FWB 300 you can look at and try out, its a side-cocker

I often goto South Mountain's air gun range, will be at Avery for smallbore tomorrow

Poole
bill@poole.com
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/

Post by Guest »

Thanks Bill! Maybe next time I'm driving through to Las Vegas we can hook up. I'm southeast of you about 2 and half hours away. When I go to Las Vegas I often go across the Carefree Highway off I-17 to avoid the congestion in Phoenix when I take the more direct route to Las Vegas.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Sid: You have probably seen that most people will recommend that you go someplace and try a few. If this is a reasonable thing to do then that is best. I know in many areas this is not reasonable. If this is the case I think that watching for a used Anschutz or FWB for a reasonable price is the best bet. Getting Single Stroke Pneumatic is not a bad way to test the water assuming you get it for a good price. I see that champion shooters in OH has a 2002 SSP for $750 with sights. This is about the top end for one of these but if it is as new then and ok deal. I have bought a bunch of used FWB's and Anschutz's for our club and club members. We have bought some that were well used and some that were as new. Every one of them seems to shoot as good as the other. We have had no problems with any of them.