Gary L. Anderson Rifle Rules Proposal?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Kurt Thune

Gary L. Anderson Rifle Rules Proposal?

Post by Kurt Thune »

Dear Shooting Sport Friend,

On January 21st, 2004 Gary L. Anderson wrote an article on the ISSF web-page which most of all seems to be his private ideas. The article can be read at:
www.issfnews.com
then: NEWS & ARTICLES/ general news/ Has the Time Come for Another Rifle Clothing Rules Change?...
Many critic voices to the Anderson ideas are found at: 'what people wrote'

More arguments against the proposal are found at:
www.issfnews.com
then select:
COMMUNITY/forum/general

100's of emails have been sent to ISSF in this matter. It is frustrating that the massive criticism against the Anderson proposal for new rules for rifle shooting pants got practically no respond from ISSF decision makers.

The number of emails sent to ISSF Executive Committee members and comments written on the ISSF web-page have gone down the last weeks. This is dangerous as several private discussions I have had indicate that ISSF decision makers believe this show that the Anderson ideas to be more or less accepted by shooters, coaches and industry. From my discussions with shooters, coaches and industry I do know there is a huge opposition against the Anderson proposal.

During my visit to European air-gun Championships two weeks ago and during the time after it seems that many people run out of energy and motivation to fight this unwise and drastic change which could come with extremely short warning-time.

What the shooting sport need is first to avoid drastic & stupid changes which make expensive equipment useless or impossible to repair and drive away people from the sport. Second, time to discuss a wise change of the rules if there really is a need for a change.

The ISSF meetings are in Athens this month, April 15-18th. Members of the ruling bodies will start to travel to Athens from 10th of April. Very little time is left.

I ask you now to activate yourself and all your friends and contacts in writing emails with yours/their opinions to all members in ISSF Executive Committee. Addresses are easily found on:

www.issf-shooting.org/Structure/exco.html

Or, at least, to write a comment or two on the ISSF web-page. I will.

Please, understand that I have no possibility to reply to all messages I get in this matter but do not hesitate to send me formation which really can bring this matter forward.

Best Regards,
Kurt
guido

Post by guido »

Ryan:Why would they reinstate pants if they ban them next year? Does not seem logical
TomW

GL Anderson Rifle Rules Proposal

Post by TomW »

Hi Kurt

I have already made postiings on this issue on the ISSF Forums.

I have also just now sent the following to each member of the ISSF (as if any of them are going to take any notice of me):

Dear Sir
In regard to the proposed ban on shooting trousers I offer the follwiing submission for your consideration:

"7.4.9 Clothing Regulations
The use of any special devices, means or garments which immobilize
or unduly reduce the movement of the shooter's legs, body or arms is
prohibited in order to assure that the performance skills of the shooters
are not artificially improved by special clothing."

All clothing used in high level competitions including World Cups and Olympic Games must pass inspection based on these rules and since the competitiors wear these clothes during their matches, it follows that what they wear has been approved by the Equipment Inspectors and therefore has the imprimatur of the ISSF on their use. Is that not so?

Therefore, and in view of what the above rule says, the clothing concerned obviously does NOT "immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the shooters legs, body or arms" nor clearly, under the same rule does the clothing "improve the performance skills of the shooters". How could it? It would be banned under these rules if it did.

Or are you trying to tell me that the ISSF, in violation of its own rules is condoning the use of equipment which they KNOW to be illegal?

You can't have it both ways. Since the gear IS used currently by shooters and since Rule 7.4.9 is so clearly prescriptive, and since we must assume that the ISSF would not deliberately defy its own rules, then how can there be any talk of banning the equipment in question? The gear being used obviousl7y does NOT provide artificial support for shooters, so why the talk about banning it? It simply defies logic.

Yours sincerely

Tom Woodley
Tom