CCD Camera's for spotting shots

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gunsmoke77802

CCD Camera's for spotting shots

Post by gunsmoke77802 »

Does anyone know what kind of CCD camera, lense & display screen to use for spotting shots in 50m shooting? I am wanting to retire my spotting scope & use a CCD camera. I have found some sites that sell the stuff but none of them can tell me if a particular set up will work from the firing line.
I'd also like to be able to use some of my 35mm camera lenses for the CCD camera.

Does anyone know of a link or manufacturer that sells set ups for this application?

thanks

JayB
Ray

CCD cameras

Post by Ray »

A 420 lines of resolution 1/3 inch black and white CCD camera would be a minimum requirement.

50 foot requires a 300 mm lense. 50 Meter might require 500mm. I will be trying the 300mm lense this June for outdoor 50M.

The size of the monitor will make a difference. I doubt if anything less than a 20 inch monitor will show the bullet hole.

Ray
TWP

Post by TWP »

Any rules that would prohibit using a wired camera, or a wireless one like an X10, placed out near the target instead of using a more expensive lens at the shooters position?
Raymond Odle

CCD camera

Post by Raymond Odle »

I don't know about the rules.

I've set up a 5-50 mm lense at distances out to 12 feet from the target. The closer to the target the more distortion because of the angle. 12 feet works for a B40-4 but so-so for two AR 5-10.

I've talked to others who have tried the lesser cameras. The cheaper cameras didn't have fine enough detail to see the shot and the rings.
I went with the better long lenses so that one camera could spot several firing points.

My next experiment is with a wired remote tilt-pan unit set in front of the firing line. Having the camera behind the shooters works with prone and kneeling but the tall scope stands seem to always cover a row of bulls. The standing position creates more problems.

My experience was for audiance viewing so my results may not apply for the individual. In my opinion a competitor attending a match is better served by a spotting scope. I still use a spotting scope at my house even though I have this equipment.

If someone has good results with setting up a camera close to a single bull target, please let me know.

Ray
gunsmoke77802

Post by gunsmoke77802 »

Thanks for the response on this. If anyone gets a set up that works please post it.

Jay
Adam

Post by Adam »

I will be picking up some stuff exactly for this purpose this weekend. I will hopefully have an opportunity to test it before I head down to the olympic trials, otherwise I likely won't get anything done with it until after the US Nationals. Once I get done with everything I will do a writeup and post it :)
Paulh

Has any tried to use a camcorder

Post by Paulh »

I have recently taken my JVC mini DV camcorder to the range (20m indoor) the camcorder has a 40 x digital zoom, which allows you to get right into the bull but the definition is too low to read the shots, I wonder if I used one of the add on 2 x lenses that screw onto the front of the lens, If this would work? does anybody else know?

Paul
Ray Odle

CCD Camera

Post by Ray Odle »

What size monitor did you use with the DV camcorder? Were you able to zoom into only one bull?
I tried my camcorder with digital zoom with so-so results.
Ray
Paulh

Camcorder as scope?

Post by Paulh »

The monitor that comes with the camera, ie the little LCD screen. you can fold it around so that you can see the image from the side of the camera.

I just looked at the camera then and see it actually has 700x digital zoom so this is why I can get right into a bulls eye (20 M remember), but the resolution is so low that it looks too fuzzy to see where the shot hits.

The thing is that the black and white high contrast is the absolute worst thing for good camcorder images.

On the positive I also bought a really small telescopic tripod that does the trick.

As with all domestic type camcorders when you leave them in standby they auto shut down after 5 mins or so, (it saves the batteries and stops the heads getting worn) . The only way you could get it to work properly as a scope would be to leave it on record.

Does this present a problem as far as the rules go?

ie recording your shooting with an electronic device.

Paul
Ray Odle

CCD camera

Post by Ray Odle »

Paul,

You might try viewing it on a 20" TV.
Also try different Zoom rates.

Ray
Paedagogus

2.5" monitor for your scope

Post by Paedagogus »

For what it's worth, I stumbled across this in the back of one of my son's electronics magazines. Too expensive for me, but sure looks like it would be convenient. If anyone burns the bucks to try this, I'd like to know how it does outside (Camp Perry conditions).

Here's the link: Matco

NEW $499/ea

SCOPECAM
TELESCOPIC VIDEO SYSTEM

Features:

* Built-in high resolution color video camera
* Built-in 2.5" TFT Color LCD Monitor
* Built-in Video Output port for recording or display
* Day/Night application, switchable