Rear sight accessory

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

DonC

Rear sight accessory

Post by DonC »

I am quite new to 10 meter. I own an Ansuutz 2002 alum stock with rear sight 7002.
Please tell me what the advantage of this aftermarket rear sight option is . Will fit the 7002 Anshutz rear sight? What is the benefit of this?
http://bjonessights.com/match.html

Thank you
Bob

Post by Bob »

If it includes corrective lenses it is NOT legal for competition.
Bill Poole

lens in sight

Post by Bill Poole »

To the best of my knowledge lens in the rear sight is not permitted in ISSF shooting. you CAN use a lens in your glasses to get the same effect, but since the small aperture increases depth of field it may have less significance. There are also complete rear sights with adjustable lenses available, in fact a guy here in phoenix has one for sale.

Bob Jones is a High Power shooter and his stuff is popular in those circles, lenses ARE permitted in NRA and often the shooter is wearing safety glasses and it is best to put the inexpensive changable lens in the sight.

Jones also makes a tiny insert for service rifles. I used one for a while.

good shooting

Poole
Bill Poole

lens in sight

Post by Bill Poole »

When i said "lens" I meant corrective, usually +0.25 or so, NOT color or grey filters which I think are legal in ISSF.

the benefit of putting a slight offset (+0.25, +0.5 +0.75) is that it brings the natural focus of your relaxed eye from infinity to somewhat closer and makes it easier to focus on the front sight with the target in the distance.

the Knobloch/Champion etc glasses frame with a little circular lens is often used for this, Cheap reading glasses can be just to test the concept. If you need a prescription correction to get to a natural infinity relaxed focus, you can use the prescription in the safety glasses and a +0.5 in the sights on the NRA rifle, or get a single prescription lens offset from the prescription by +0.5 or whatever.

For pistol I wear contacts and use a +0.5 or so lens, for rifle I just wear the contacts.

Poole