Rifle transport

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Rob

Rifle transport

Post by Rob »

I just bought a used biathlon rifle and when I recieved it, the rear sight assy. was removed for shipping. Does one put the complete rifle away in a case for transport to the match or do you take the rear sight assy. off for transporting. I'm new to rifle shooting. In biathlon theres a zeroing in session before the event begins... Rob
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I was taught to remove the rear sight from my 10m AR. I had it attached to the rifle, and my coach said to remove it for transport, as it is too easily damaged if left on the rifle. Even if it would fit in a hard case w room around it, the sight is so easily removed that why risk damaging the sight.

Just make sure that you bring the sight with you and don't forget it at home. When I go to the range, besides the range bag, I grab 2 things: the rifle in its case, and the sight in it's case.

Gary
TWP

Post by TWP »

On my daughters guns they fit into her case with the sights on.

When we are going to local matches and handling the case ourselves the sights are left on.

If we have to fly to a match the sights come off. If I had to ship it somewhere via commercial carrier I'd take the sights off.
JPM

Post by JPM »

What the others said - if you are the one handling your gun case, the sights can stay on and should be OK. If a baggage handler is going to toss it into a cargo hold, take the sight off.

JPM
pal177WRC

Post by pal177WRC »

Welcome to the fun world of marksmanship, and TargetTalk!

I always remove the sights. It is no problem to put them back on and have the same zero, with the precision dovetails (grooves) that high quality match rifles have. That is what most people are afraid of, that want to leave the rear sight on: they'll lose the zero. Don't worry about it! You'll lose zero a lot faster & unfixable if the sight is on the rifle & it gets bunged around in transit (even in the trunk of your own car!). This also includes falling on it while skiing - try NOT to!

That said, keep the sight itself in a good sturdy, clean case - plastic pencil box, or the styrofoam box that Anschutz uses. And wipe it down with an oily rag after each session - especially since you'll be in & among a lot of moisture (snow). (that goes for all the metalwork on your rifle [but don't wipe the oil or grease OFF your bolt!!]) (I work with juniors: it's all been done before! :^)

Just remember two things - like posted earlier, remember to take the sight along! (keep it in the same bag as your ammo, ski boots, etc).
Fasten it at the same point on the action each time, because you want the same eye relief & percieved aperture size, and placement WILL affect zero. There should be markings on top of the action for your reference.
guido

rifle transport

Post by guido »

Hello every body
I always take the sights off the rifle for transporting it, specially when air travelling. I saw someone´s front sight damaged because of not transporting separatedly.
Bye