trigger options???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

trigger options???

Post by guest »

i currently have my anshutz trigger set to the lowest trigger weight but i would prefer it lighter. The screw is backed out almost to the max. What are some custom triggers that i could purchase that are more adjustable than the stock one. Or what can i have done to my current trigger to help my problem. About how much would each cost. greatly appreciated.
JPOC

Too Light Is Trouble

Post by JPOC »

Why is it that you want your trigger set to such a light weight? What is the current weight?

Are you having trouble breaking the shot... that is... the trigger seems "heavy" and it is almost impossible to make the gun fire? If so, this is not an issue of trigger weight. It has everything to do with the athlete's approach to the shot and the shooting. There is almost a "fear" or concern about the outcome of the shot. This is what often causes the problem.

Based on the above, the following suggestion is offered. (There could be any number of other causes, with a different solution set needed. If you tell us more about the situation, we might be able to offer additional thoughts.)

Instead of reducing trigger weight, add a bunch of weight to the trigger... one athlete I know has 100gm on the 1st stage and another 100gm on the 2nd stage (200gm total) on her air rifle. While this is an extreme, it does allow her to confidently prepare and automatically use the trigger on each shot. How to "prepare" the trigger?

Before you are on target and aiming, the following 4 items must be complete:
1. Mentally Ready - prepared and focused.
2. Emotionally Ready - ok with the shot and it's outcome, detached.
3. First Stage Taken Up - if released, set the gun down and start over.
4. Add Some Pressure to the Second Stage - enough that you know things are going to happen!

Athletes who can bring themselves to actually do step 4 report that it really makes a difference. Some also report that, once they get the hang of step 4, they realize that they have actually not been doing steps 1 and 2 to the degree needed! Then things really get going well! Shots often break very quickly and effortlessly and are very deep 10s. All 4 steps are critical for this.

Also, with a raised arousal level in competition, one needs a good amount of weight difference between the 1st and 2nd stages in order to be able to do step 4 in competition. Sensitivity utilized in training often is reduced and unavailable in competition.

This technique is part of a much larger set of related techniques and is very powerful in that context.

"Feel Center!"
-JP
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

What trigger do you have? Is it one of the older Anschutz triggers?

I ask this because it is hard to imagine not being able to get the current production (5018) trigger light enough. If you have an anschutz with one of the older triggers then you can upgrade it to the new type. The new style anschutz trigger that goes on the old style action is the anschutz #5071 trigger. There are a few hitches in installing the 5071 on an old action but it is nothing major.
Dan Hankins

Thanks JP

Post by Dan Hankins »

About a week ago, while trying to set up the trigger on my "new to me" RWS 75S TO-1, I arrived at the conclusion that the lighter trigger pull was not an advantage to me. In fact I set the trigger to a heavier pull, and my scores went up.

I did not mention this to any one I know because "common knowledge" is that the rifle triggers shoulld be very light. My P-70 is still relative light, but it is so predictable that shot release is not a problem, or, I have just adapted to it's setting and feel. But I recently also increased the weight of the trigger on my Chinese Copy of the FWB-300, and I like the new setting.

During the lenghtly experimentation with the RWS trigger I also discovered that I was using too much pressure on the rifles grip, which was causing me to pull my shots.

I am not a world class shooter, but I keep records, and document the changes, and results.

I appreciate your posts, and usually benefit from them when I can apply the information. I shoot at home and there is the fact that you point out, that sometimes you think you are doing something and in fact you are not. Being a hard headed 56 year old man is also not an asset either.

Respectfully,
Dan Hankins
coolcruiser

smallbore vs highpower trigger

Post by coolcruiser »

During the winter I shoot smallbore 4P with my FWB 2602. The 2 stage trigger is set to about 2oz and it is a joy to shoot. By contrast my AR15 that I use in the summer has a 2 stage trigger that is a 4 1/2 lb release (to meet service rifle rules). After a short transition period each year I find the light/heavy trigger not an issue to shoot...go figure! A lot of the issue with trigger function is consistancy. The trigger must break the same every time. The actual trigger weight is less of an issue. As a sidenote, my best seasonal scores are often at the beginning of the season as I make the transition and I relate that directly to the trigger. I found the "four points" of JP's response intriguing and will study them a bit...whatever is going on in mind as I 'work' each shot may need to be improved.
DonC

Hard headed 55 year old

Post by DonC »

Hi Dan,
I'm hard headed too. hehe
I have spent the past 2 weeks shooting a 10 meter Anshutz 2002 with a single stage and incredibly light trigger ,as an experiment. I like it so much, I don't think I'll ever change it. Go Figure. I guess it's best to just experiment with all kinds of trigger settings till your recorded scores improve. I agree, record keeping is important too.
Don