Scope Stand Advice

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

DonC

Scope Stand Advice

Post by DonC »

Someone told me that Ewing was the best. They said it was the only mfg to use 1" dia rod and it wouldn't blow over like some other brands.
Can you recommend one that you think is really good?
TIA,
Don
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Don: check out www.jarheadtop.com he sells a scope stand that is pretty neat. It is much like an offhand stand and seems very stable. A friend of mine has one and likes it pretty well. You might also call Pilkington's. They had some Ewing stands that were made to be more suited to smallbore shooters.
Katy

Post by Katy »

I use one from gerrod (sp? tool company in sugerland texas....that thing is indestructable and meant for outdoor shooting drop me an email if you would like more information sharp_shooter_girl@yahoo.com
DonC

Post by DonC »

Thanks you pdeal. I talked with jarhead and was imformed that this scope stand is just as stable as the Ewing and is near half the cost. It also only weighs 9 lbs. The post tlelscopes and the footprint is larger. It comes with a 2.5 lb weight.
Thanks again,
Don

Post by Guest »

If you're going to be shooting indoors, especially in competition - watch out for those larger footprints. Some of the things I see on the firing line take up a large bunch of space, often infringing upon their neighbors :^(
Also on some ranges, you'll need to fit all your stands (scope & standing rest) in between firing point divider walls. Kind of like flying in coach class!
Roy

Scope Stand / Best I've ever used

Post by Roy »

http://first-strike-products.com/

http://first-strike-products.com/catego ... ategory=14

First Strike Standard Scope Stand
Product #: FS-2009-00

The new standard for scope stands in high-power competition. The First Strike scope stand includes First Strike's new highpower scope head.

Made from aerospace materials on CNC machining centers to give you the best scope stand and scope head in the world! The base and legs are the same as used on our super stand machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. The legs lock up and down with First Strike's rocker lock quick release buttons.

The scope rod is polished stainless steel tube. It comes 48.00” long. Other extension length’s are available. The scope head has two adjustment knobs one for elevation and panning one for tilting scope up and down. The scope head is not recommended for scopes that do not have a rotation ring built into the spotting scope or do not have an angled eye piece.

[More Info]
dschrankjr

Scope stand

Post by dschrankjr »

I have owned a number of stands and currently have 2 Ewings. The stands offer by First Strike, Giraurd, and the Ewing Highpower stand are much heavier than you need for smallbore. They are all great products. The Ewing smallbore stand is a much lighter unit and works very well for smallbore. However, if you have a 82MM or larger scope you should probably go with the heavier highpower model.
As far as the Jim Owens stand: Most find it very awkward to adjust and set up. If you are interested in one of his stands I recommend advertising on the Florida highpower web page. Alot of people that buy them upgrade to better units later and have them sitting around collecting dust. David.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Our club members have several Champion's Choice and Champion's Shooter's Supply stands. The CC ones have a spike you can put in the bottom of the rod and still use the tripod. The Champ Shooter's Supply ones are more adjustable, but not as big around. Haven't used either yet personaly.

Mike
Wichita KS
Randy

Scope Stand

Post by Randy »

I had a friend of mine, a machinest, designed and made our junior club 8 outstanding spotting scope stands. The rods are !" and the base has a weight with folding and adjustable legs where they can be raised to elevate the stand higher off the ground or lower. There are three threaded rod sections and the whole thing breaks down to about a little over two foot section. We had the stands designed for 60" height, but he can make them for any length. The legs can be made to any lenght desired. We had 8" legs designed for our purpose because we didn't want long legs interferring with the shooters efforts to get the scope close to the shooter when they are shooting the various positions. He also made his own design for the scope head. The price was about $200 plus shipping. If your interest I can email you a photo. My email is randy@srv.net.

Post by Guest »

Don't fail to look at the Ray Vin stand. The head is adjustable with one hand and is less than the First Strike of Guaird