Best Anshutz?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Misny

Best Anshutz?

Post by Misny »

What is the best Anshutz action? What models have this action as a basis for the rifle?
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

There are two "best" Anschutz actions. One is the 54 and the other is the 20xx square action. Which of the two is best seems to depend who you talk to. Many people for one reason or another really don't like the 20xx action. Many top shooters use it with good success though. As far as which rifles use which your best bet is to call Champions Choice or Champion Shooters Supply and get an Anschutz catalog. The have quite a few models that use each of these actions.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks pdeal. I hope I don't irritate you with such basic questions, but what makes one action "better" than another? Does it just have to do with one action being easier to manipulate and allowing the shooter to stay in position? I thought that the barrel was the deciding factor in accuracy, and that was all that was truly important in a smallbore rifle.
Joacim

Best action?? Does it exist?

Post by Joacim »

Per my experience it seems like the 54 actions seems to have a more even accuracy. I've never had a 54 action from the factory shoot "bad" while I've seen 20XX actions having some problems. The 54 action is more of a one piece action that is close to impossible to switch the barrel on yourself.

The 20xx has one main advantage - you can switch the barrel yourself in five minutes. This allows top shooters to have a set of barrels to test ammuntion in until they find the the perfect fit. It has some other disadvantages but this is the main reason top shooters choose to use the 20XX action.

Another consideration is the difference between 2 and 4 action screws - which a totally different and more technical subject. The 20XX has 4 screws to attach it to the stock.

This is just my opinion and the experience I've had with the guns I've gone through (1 x Match 54, 1 x 1813, 2x1913, 2 x 2013). I finally settled for a old Match 54 action in a new stock as it had the best accuracy for my situation and I think it is the best value. I get the advantage of the quality from the 70's combined with the advantage of the new stock with all the adjustments.

Joacim
Misny

Post by Misny »

Joacim,

That does clarify it for me. Thanks for your time!