Clear Disk Inserts

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gunnar

Clear Disk Inserts

Post by Gunnar »

What size clear disk inserts are best for 10m AR? I would like to know both ISSF and NRA target preferences.
Also, what benefits come from color differences?
Gunnar

Also

Post by Gunnar »

Also, can someone tell me what the difference between M18 and M22 for front sight diameter means?
Southpaw

clear disk inserts

Post by Southpaw »

Since most AR is done inside, clear is probably fine, although there are some shades that may give better contrast under flourescent light. Other TT'ers may have better insight into this.

With regard to your second posting - M18 is an 18mm front diameter sight tunnel and M22 is 22mm. FWB has been using the M22 for a few years now on its' guns. I don't notice any particular advantage to either.

Regards,
Southpaw
mikeschroeder

Re: Clear Disk Inserts

Post by mikeschroeder »

Gunnar wrote:What size clear disk inserts are best for 10m AR? I would like to know both ISSF and NRA target preferences.
Also, what benefits come from color differences?
Hi Gunnar

Don't know if it "helps" or not, but the green "sunglass colored" discs are MUCH cooler to look through, and I'm an aging (as opposed to old) coot. I don't see how the tinting helps the way real sunglasses help though.

Mike
Joacim

Insert sizes

Post by Joacim »

If you start with a 3.8 insert, it will give you a good gauge of what you prefer. A lot of younger shooters prefer sizes smaller than that while older shooters goes up from there. I would say that 3.5-4.5 is a valid range.
I use 4.2 and have used since I was in high school - I read an article about a test done in Germany where they checked how much movement you could see in a small vs. large aperture and they could move a target quite a bit with the small insert before the shooter noticed it.
I also prefer the larger ones as it is easier to aim as there are more "white" but that is more of a personal preference.

Hope it helped,

Joacim
TomF

Post by TomF »

I like 3.6. I have tried larger ones and anything over 4.0 is way too much air for me. But you need to try several and light conditions may dictate which one you use.

But I have an adjustable front sigh now and I love it! It is great for any condition.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

It depends.

Don't you just hate that phrase? But it really does depend on YOU.

I was told by my coach to use the insert size that would keep the target in the aperture most of the time. This means if you have a larger wobble, you use a larger insert, until the target is in the aperture most of the time. With a too small insert where the target is outside the insert most of the time you get into the "SHOOT NOW" syndrome, and jerk the trigger. So my insert size may not be appropriate for you, and your insert size may not be appropriate for me.

As your wobble zone gets smaller, you go down to a smaller insert.
On bad days, you put in the larger insert.

The sight radius of your rifle also affect the insert size. On my P70jr (shorter sight radius than a full size P70), I use a 4.0mm insert. On a full size rifle, I think I used a 4.4mm insert. If you use a front tube that extends your front sight, or mount your sights differently the size you use could change.

I also understand that insert size is also affected by lighting conditions at the range. Although I have not learned enough to figure that out.

I use a clear insert. I understand the theory of a slightly darker insert, so the aperture stands out more than the surrounding area. I have not experimented with colored inserts, so I can't say how it really works.

The confusing part about the 19 and 22mm insert is that the size is not the diameter of the insert. The 22mm insert is not 22mm in diameter. I think it is the diameter of the front sight tube that the insert goes into. I think FWB is the only one to use the 22mm insert, although Anschutz lists 22m front sights in their catalog.

If you use a 19mm insert, the easiest way is to just get a set of inserts, and start experimenting. Pilkingtons and Neal Johnson sets insert sets. If you use a 22mm insert, it gets a bit harder because the 22mm inserts are a lot more expensive and the insert set that is available in 19mmm is not available in 22mm (that I know of). So you would purchase individual inserts in the range that would likely work for you. Maybe 4.0-4.6mm in 0.2mm increments. If you wobble more go up further, if you wobble less go down further.

gud luk
Gary