how should I approach the shot?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

lucho

how should I approach the shot?

Post by lucho »

Do you try to align the signs from the same direction. By this I mean do you lower the sights onto the target or move onto the target from the side and break the shot when the sights are aligned to the target. Or do you put the sights on the target and let them wobble around breaking the shot when the sights are aligned?

Is there a perfered meathod for approaching the shot?
coolcruiser

approach vs hold

Post by coolcruiser »

This seems to be not one issue but two. Obviously you must bring the rifle onto the target to begin preparing for the shot. I have known some good gallery shooters that will advise such things as " right hand shooters tend to unwind from left to right so a good approach is to enter the bull at 9 o'clock and begin the trigger pull" I believe this can work for people that have a consistant shot execution. My advise is to work on a good "natural point of aim"...refine the position until a good bullseye center can be held and break the shot in a ten second time window. Further refinement of the hold will result in the best center shots. My $.02
Matt

Post by Matt »

Personal preference, but most common and most consistent is to first line up the sights, the come down on the target from 12 o'clock. Do not come in from the left or right - that means your natural point of aim is off and I'd bet you will end up pulling shots in the direction from which you came onto the target. Once you actually start holding on the bull, break the shot within 6 to 7 seconds. Any more and you are overholding and running out of air in your lungs.
Shoot 100s

Natural Point of aim!!

Post by Shoot 100s »

In my opinion, you should exhale a consistant amount every time, and then find a natural point of aim directly on the bull. By natural point of aim, I mean where the sights point when you are completely relaxed. Then, make sure that your should, hand (front and back), and cheeck pressure are consistant with all of your other shots. Exhale your normal amount (I use a 3/4 exhale, but its preference), squeeze, don't "slap", the trigger a steady amount untill the breaking shot surprises you. If the shot does not break within 8 or so seconds, breath again and start over. After the shot breaks, put the sights right back on the bull and wait a second or two before checking your spotting scope. Do not aim the the left or right or any ohter direction, that is what sight corrections are for.

The only thing in your head should be centering your sight rings, and if any words pop into your head, breath agian and start over.

Don't count your shots is also important. Meaning, don't keep track of dropped shots. Every shot is a new "match" because every shot is equally important, whether you are just plinking with a BB gun in your backyard or going for the title at Camp Perry.

Practice, practice, and practice some more.

Best of luck to you and your shooting.