Anschutz 1912 vs 2012

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Diana

Anschutz 1912 vs 2012

Post by Diana »

What are the main differences between the two besides the weight? I'm a senior in high school and I plan on shooting in college. I've heard the 1912 handles better outside and the 2012 does better indoors. Is that true. I've noticed that the prices for the two differ by about $500...is paying that much more for the 2012 worth it? Thanks for all of your help. If anyone hears of one for sale please let me know. Thank you

Diana
EAL22

Post by EAL22 »

I think the main differences between the 1912 and the 2012 is the action, the 1912 is the standard 54 match action that they have made foe yearsand the 2012 is the new square action that has the clamped barrel system. with the 2012 action you can change barrels by removing 4 allen screws.

Post by Guest »

Diana
I am an English prone shooter, but I browse the American Benchrest forums on a daily basis, for any information on rifle accuracy.
The consensus of opinion seems to be that the 20 series square / flat-bottomed action is excellent, IF YOU CAN GET IT BEDDED PROPERLY. The 4 action screws apparently make it very difficult to tune, whereas the 2 screws on the round 54 action make it much easier to get good results.

I have had both, and sold the 2012 as it did not shoot as well as my older match 54 (16 series) rifles, when I went to the Eley customer range in Birmingham, England.

At the 2002 Commonwealth Games at Bisley, England (where my daughter shot for England with a 1607 + 1912 stock), there were some 2012s in evidence, but mostly 1912s, as far as I could tell.

Hope this helps.

Walter in England

Remember: Target shooting isn't a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.