Anschutz 1903 for Smallbore?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dave Simons

Post by Dave Simons »

I have been a bullseye pistol shooter for a number of years and have just started shooting the CMP rimfire sporter matches. A club I have recently joined has a smallbore league, three position and prone indoor and prone outdoor, and it is something I am going to try.

I have been looking at the Anschutz 1903 for this and would like your opinion. I know the 1903 is an intermediate rifle but I do not see myself progressing any further than that, and it is in a price range I would like to stay in. Your thoughts.

Thanks
Dave Simons
Michèle

Used 1907 might be better

Post by Michèle »

A used 1907 might prove more useful to you. Unless you are of a very small build, the 1903 will probably be a little light. Also, the 1907 (full sized standard rifle) has the match 54 action (better for 50 meters).

Since most women are now using the sport rifle, getting a used standard rifle should prove more affordable.
Southpaw

1903 for smallbore.

Post by Southpaw »

I've seen prone shooters with 1903 type actions shooting just as well as the heavier 54 action so, as usual it comes down to the shooter and not necessarily the gun.
Here's another cliche', "you get what you pay for". The 1903 is a little less in every aspect of its' construction compared to its big brothers, but that doesn't mean less accurate.
I thinks its a fine choice and can likely be found used for an even better value. Look for 1803's and 1403's as well. They haven't changed much.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

1903 can be as accurate as any other rifle (my son last year shot 393/400 with that during National Championships here). The only problem is that the trigger mechanizm is not adjustable enough. Minimum trigger weigth is 280 g that is pretty too much for precision shooting. It works well for prone but at standing... it is horrible... I have contacted Anschutz and they stated that there is no way to change it...
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

1903 can be as accurate as any other rifle (my son last year shot 393/400 with that during National Championships here). The only problem is that the trigger mechanizm is not adjustable enough. Minimum trigger weigth is 280 g that is pretty too much for precision shooting. It works well for prone but at standing... it is horrible... I have contacted Anschutz and they stated that there is no way to change it...
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Dave: With some digging you ought to be able to find a good used 1907 for just a little more than a 1903. The trouble with the 1903 is not so much the accuracy as the size. They are intended to be junior rifles. A side advantage of the 1907 is that it is a very close match to the ans. air rifles incase you want to get an air rifle for some basement practice.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I'm (hopefully) going to be in the market for something similar in the near future. Is there somewhere closer to Wichita KS than Champion's Choice or Neal Johnson's that would actually have one of each Anschutz? A .22LR Anschutz would probably be a good next gun since I've been helping out with the 4-H Shooters. From what I've seen, the other smallbore target rifles are either not as good as the Anschutz, or cost much more.

Mike
Curt

Post by Curt »

I have been borrowing a 1903 from my coach's son ove rthe off season. It is as accurate as a target rifle needs to be. It has no problem with shooting 100s on dot targets at 50' with proper ammuntion. Many of these are older so be carefull about how much wear there is on the barrel.
Best of luck to you!