Value Anschutz 1813

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bedub1

Value Anschutz 1813

Post by bedub1 »

Newbie here. I've been offered an Aschutz 1813. I'm trying to figure out it's value. I've looked all over the internet, I even went to the library and looked in the giant Book of Gun Values. It wasn't listed. I can't find anything. This website is the only place with any details on it. Hence I joined up!

I've started shooting 50 yards .22lr rimfire bench matches, so I'm looking for a rifle to move from the Sporter class ($700 rifles) up to the Competition class.

I haven't seen the rifle yet, I'll be traveling to see it. Hopefully shoot it. Supposedly it's an actual 1813, from 1988. Bought in West Germany by the original owner, who brought it to the US. The 2nd owner currently has it. It has "amazing sights", along with the "heavy glove"; all the accessories. It's in a "nice case", and includes an "unertl 20x scope". The stock has some "minor dings", but otherwise it's in "great condition". I've put most of these words in quotes, as I'm not 100% on them. I haven't seen any pictures of it. I don't have serial numbers or an actual parts list.

What should I be looking for? What are all the accessories? What sort of value (in USD) would it have, if it includes all the accessories?

When I've looked around, I've found values anywhere from 300 UK pounds, to $3600 USD. I can't make an offer without knowing more.
tenring

Re: Value Anschutz 1813

Post by tenring »

$1600 for the rifle would be fair if it’s in good shape withs its original parts. Sights may or may not be good. I’d buy new sights! They should be fine to get you started.

Chad
bedub1

Post by bedub1 »

tenring wrote:$1600 for the rifle would be fair if it’s in good shape withs its original parts. Sights may or may not be good. I’d buy new sights! They should be fine to get you started.

Chad
Would you remove the unertl scope and put the sights back on?
beye

Post by beye »

A true 1813 has a thumbhole stock and is a poorly designed stock for BR shooting. Plus you pay more for this stock and none of the accessories you are paying for -- hook buttplate, palmrest, handstop -- are used in BR shooting. The same barreled action was used in the 1811 prone stock model, which cost less and is more suitable for BR. Custom BR stocks with wide flat bottoms are even more desirable for BR shooting. Serious .22 BR matches are fired with telescopic sights only (and high powered ones at that), although local club matches may have iron sight matches or categories. Don't know where you are, but if you are in the U.S., be a little patient and watch the websites and you may find a rifle more suitable for BR shooting for around the price of a nice 1813.
bedub1

Post by bedub1 »

beye wrote:A true 1813 has a thumbhole stock and is a poorly designed stock for BR shooting. Plus you pay more for this stock and none of the accessories you are paying for -- hook buttplate, palmrest, handstop -- are used in BR shooting. The same barreled action was used in the 1811 prone stock model, which cost less and is more suitable for BR. Custom BR stocks with wide flat bottoms are even more desirable for BR shooting. Serious .22 BR matches are fired with telescopic sights only (and high powered ones at that), although local club matches may have iron sight matches or categories. Don't know where you are, but if you are in the U.S., be a little patient and watch the websites and you may find a rifle more suitable for BR shooting for around the price of a nice 1813.
Thanks for the info. What's the difference between the palmrest and the handstop?

Are there other types of matches I would use these in? I've only recently gotten into competitive shooting, and other styles might be fun to invest in.

I'm in the US, Pacific Northwest.

It's a friend that is making me the offer, so I'm not necessarily looking into other options. If I don't buy this, I might buy a CZ for $500, or a brand new base-model 64 action for $1000.
beye

Post by beye »

A palmrest is used to support the rifle with the non-firing hand in the standing position. A shooting sling attaches to the handstop (which fits in the forend rail, likewise the palmrest) and is used in the other positions. The 1813 style stock was designed for 3 position shooting (prone, kneeling & standing) and is used by quite a few shooters in prone only competition. There is considerable difference is quality between an Anschutz on the 54 action (one of which is the 1813) and the other 2 rifles you mentioned.
bedub1

Post by bedub1 »

Okay so both the palmerst and handstop attach to the forend rail?

If I start out in bench shooting, I can easily move to the other 3 positions with an 1813. Can the same be said other models? I'm not necessarily tied to a single-position bench rest rifle.

I'm mainly looking into how versatile of a rifle this is, and what a good deal would be. As I'm not in love with the model, I wouldn't want to buy it at market price or above. At the tier of "a good deal" then I might pull the trigger.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Bedub,

The 1813 was very well regarded, and won several Olympic medals, but it's a big heavy rifle (14lb+). Normally I'd say it was a good choice for a first time buyer, but that's for someone who has already learned the basics on a club/borrowed rifle. If you are just dabbling, a simpler rifle may be better.

Yes the handstop and palmrest slide into the handstop rail, and lock down with a 4mm hex wrench.
bedub1

Post by bedub1 »

Thanks for the info everybody.

Does the scope add value to the rifle? Or would I end up replacing it?

Does everybody agree $1600 is an appropriate price?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

A 20X Unertl would add value; US forum members can advise on how much.

Unertl haven't been made for some years, and have a bit of a cult following. People want old barrel-mounted scopes for vintage rifles that lack receiver mounts. Unertl glass can be very good, so one in good condition is still very shootable. However these are much longer than modern receiver-mounted scopes, and may not balance as comfortably in position shooting; the weight is much farther forwards.
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Unertl scopes came in a couple of different models. The common one had a 1.25" diameter objective (I believe). There is a larger one as well.

In good condition the 1.25" typically bring $700 to $800. There are usually several for sale on ebay.

I use a 20X Unertl and like it very much.