Looking for a beginner .22 rifle.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

thefunvee

Looking for a beginner .22 rifle.

Post by thefunvee »

Hello,

Im just starting out in 50m prone rifle and am looking for a good rifle for a beginner. Im looking for something I can use for serious competition, and something I can use for a while before I have to start looking at the more expensive rifles, as I have been told that with there's a certain point when the rifle starts to hold you back, regardless of your skill. I have been recommended to take a look at the Kimber 82 government, Anschutz 64, or an Anschutz in the 14 series, though im not entirely sure which one I should consider. Are Winchester 52's worth looking at? I've heard they are no where near the Anschutz and similar rifles. Are there any other rifles that you would recommend that are better for a comparable price? Longevity of use and accuracy are my two main criteria.

While we are on the topic of rifles, what sights should I use? Are sights the same way as rifles, where at a certain point they start to hold you back? I know there are a plethora of sights out there. Any recommendations on that front?

Thank you in advance!
Tim S

Re: Looking for a beginner .22 rifle.

Post by Tim S »

The funvee,

Firstly, I'm assuming you're looking for a used rifle, not brand new.

If you can find/afford an Anschutz Match 54, that's your best bet. These are accurate, comfortable, and durable rifles. Anschutz no longer dominate Olympic level shooting, but a Match 54 in good condition is still a great choice for a beginner. This thread gives a more detailed view of the various models, and what to look for when buying: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... ilit=bulge. Personally I'd go for a 1980s 18xx rifle, as spares are still available, but the older 14xxx 54s are good.

The Match 64 is Anschutz's junior/club rifle. These are accurate rifles, maybe not as accurate as a 54, but no slouch. However stocks and triggers are more basic, and the older rifles are quite small and light. The bolt is less durable than the 54, though not fragile. Unless you really need a 9lb rifle, or can't afford a 54, a 54 is a better choice.

Winchester 52s are very accurate rifles, but the factory stocks are very old fashioned and much less ergonomic than Anschutz. The stocks are basically a plank of wood, with minimal concession for where you hold. If the stock doesn't fit, you had to put up with it, or break out the woodworking tools. Some of the older models are now collectible, and expensive. Some US shooters do very well with custom 52s, but these are rebuilt in better, more ergonomic stocks.

The Kimbers appear accurate, but are heavy, particularly muzzle-heavy. As with Winchester, the stocks are a big plank of wood, and much less comfortable than Anschutz. Forum member Bob Smalser has written several informative posts about the Kimber 82G.

I'd also throw Walther and Feinwerkbau into the mix. These are German brands, built in the same city as Anschutz. Accuracy, fit, build quality are as as good as Anschutz. But because Anschutz dominated the market, these aren't as common. Unless your budget allows for fairly new rifles, under 20yo, you probably won't see either brand.

As for sights, most rifles come with sights. Anschutz make their own, and these are perfectly good. The only essential upgrade would be an adjustable aperture iris eyepiece, although many used rifles will have one already. Most rearsights work in much the same way, so unless the original rearsight is damaged, or worn out, a new rearsight may not actually improve your aim. Newer rearsights usually have finer adjustment than the old Match 54 sights, but it will be a while before 2.5mm clicks are too coarse, and you need to adjust 1.25mm per click. However wanting a new rearsight is entirely different; if you do, then a new Anschutz, Gehmann, Centra, Grunig, or Hammerli rearsight will slide onto any Match 54 receiver. US-made fullbore sights, like the Warner, are also an option (with an adaptor). But at first stick with the factory sights.

At the front, the factory foresight will be fine at first. Do buy a selection of inserts in different aperture sizes and material (stamped metal and Perspex). An aperture between 3.6mm and 4.0mm is normal, but exactly where is for you to decide. Later on you can experiment with larger 22mm tunnels, bloop tubes, and the like.
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

Tim S - just read the other thread that you mentioned above and your posts... GREAT stuff. Thank you for sharing!
Robert Erb

Post by Robert Erb »

We have a Anschutz 1451 for sale, in excellent condition ,my son is ready to upgrade, $575.00, message me or call 719-644-5638 if interested [co