Kneeling help for a tall shooter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

HainlineR

Kneeling help for a tall shooter

Post by HainlineR »

I am a 6'0" junior in high school and have been having problems in kneeling. I shoot a Red Anschutz 2213 with a super match barrel, overall about 15 pounds. I have been running into problems in kneeling because I am tall and have long arms. Because I am tall, I shoot with my elbow forward of my knee. My scores for 50ft prone have been around 97- 99, standing 89- 92 and kneeling 86-89. I will post pictures of my kneeling position so you can get some insight on any issues.

My main concerns are based on the weight of my gun, how far forward my elbow sits over my knee, and my angle towards the target.

My rear sight is a little higher than my front sight because the diameter of my sight extension tube is not as wide as my barrel. This poses a problem because the height of my sight risers in the back are really high and I cant do anything to change them.

Because I am tall, how high should my position sit.
Pat McCoy

Re: Kneeling help for a tall shooter

Post by Pat McCoy »

I will post pictures of my kneeling position
Please do. That will give much more info to work with.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you're shooting under ISSF rules then be careful to stay within the limits set by rule 7.6.1.1 e) :-
"The point of the elbow must not be more than 100 mm over or 150 mm behind the point of the knee;"
twisted

Post by twisted »

my son had problems kneeling as well. At 6-3, he preferred to extend his foot out so it would drop his knee.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

HainlineR wrote:My rear sight is a little higher than my front sight because the diameter of my sight extension tube is not as wide as my barrel. This poses a problem because the height of my sight risers in the back are really high and I cant do anything to change them.
Hainline,

Firstly apologies if I've misunderstood your description. But, the rearsight has to be higher than the foresight. Remember the bullet doesn't fly in a straight line, it falls towards the earth as soon as it leaves the muzzle. We counter this by raising the muzzle slightly to lob the bullet up, and onto the target, even at 50ft. To raise the muzzle, the rearsight is slightly higher from the bore than the foresight.

Your extension tube complicates things a little, as effectively it lowers the foresight; even with raiser blocks it sights a little lower than the same foresight + blocks would on the muzzle. The increased sight radius also changes the angle to the rearsight. However you can overcome this by clicking the rearsight. So long as you have enough free elevation clicks to compensate for the lower foresight you're OK. In practise you have to adjust the elevation for the blocks anyway, but a little less than normal with the tube.

The main issue I'd see is if the sightline is a little too low, even with the blocks, for your comfort. However you can add more blocks.

I don't quite understand your comment about not being able to do anything about the blocks? Do you mean the height of the raisers is fixed, or that these are somehow permanently fixed to the gun? Or do you mean that you aren't in a position to replace the risers with an adjustable,/lower/higher set?