Front insert size

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

garyls

Front insert size

Post by garyls »

Need advice,
"Wondering what front insert size is the most common for Olympian 10 meter rifle shooters. In trying to learn this frustrating/wonderful sport, I've confused myself....Help would be most appreciated. (68 year old rookie). " Can still see it pretty well, but still working on centering/shooting. Thanks, g
Modena

Re: Front insert size

Post by Modena »

that will depend on your sight radius....
Modena

Post by Modena »

Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Sight radius won't differ too much for 10mAR, as the length of the barrel/action ("system" in the ISSF Rulebook) is limited to 870mm.

Doesn't Ways of the Rifle (very influential book by top German coach/shooters for OP) recommend 4.5mm as a start?

As well as aperture size, eye sight is important. A prescription lens for the right focal length helps: typically for rifle it's distance +0.5 diopters.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

As a 67 year old effectively rookie to 10m air rifle I would say it is simply if the black aiming mark wobbles out of the aperture you need a bigger one. (c'mon shoot me down)
From the table in the above article with typical 31 inch from eye to front sight, the 3.8m aperture is more for an elite shooter. So yes I agree start with 4.4 or 4.5mm and work down.
It also depends on whether you wear a shooting jacket/coat and a rookie with no coat would find the 3.8mm one very difficult to use.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

TenMetrePeter wrote:As a 67 year old effectively rookie to 10m air rifle I would say it is simply if the black aiming mark wobbles out of the aperture you need a bigger one. (c'mon shoot me down)
From the table in the above article with typical 31 inch from eye to front sight, the 3.8m aperture is more for an elite shooter. So yes I agree start with 4.4 or 4.5mm and work down.
It also depends on whether you wear a shooting jacket/coat and a rookie with no coat would find the 3.8mm one very difficult to use.
I agree with Pete.
That is what I was taught.
Keep the moving bull INSIDE the aperture as much as possible.
What this means is that I have and use several inserts.
On days where my wobble is BAD, I use a larger insert than on days where my hold is more steady.

For me, that seemed to work.
garyls

Post by garyls »

Thanks for the replies, 'have a 3.8mm in now and eye to front sight is 32", 'can see it well enough and have tried inserts up to 4.6, but it seems as if the smaller size provides a more accurate sight picture for me. Thanks, g
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

garyls wrote:Thanks for the replies, 'have a 3.8mm in now and eye to front sight is 32", 'can see it well enough and have tried inserts up to 4.6, but it seems as if the smaller size provides a more accurate sight picture for me. Thanks, g
Many factors other than front ring size determines the sight picture. The MEC book air rifle training and competition has a lot of information on setting up sights for the best accuracy.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Im 60 and shoot this. its a mec/centra adjustable front sight. i bought the fixed rim width one and i love it
it go's to 1.8 mm to 4.3mm. They make one that gos 3.8 to 5.8 same price. There is also an adjustable rim with possibility but Im an Engineer and needed to limit my adjustment choices or I will tune my gun into oblivion

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... tem=04200B