Rifle Transport and Sight Removal

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

marky-d

Rifle Transport and Sight Removal

Post by marky-d »

Hi All--

I have a question about transporting my son's rifle to and from the range. Right now I'm not concerned with air travel, so my question isn't about whether to get a Pelican versus brand XXXX. So far, we've just been transporting without a case, so the sights stay on and the rifle gets placed in the trunk wrapped in a blanket (I know, pretty ghetto, but it works okay). I have a few different rifle cases already, ranging from soft 'hunting' cases to a mediocre Plano hard case, but haven't bought anything specifically for the Anschutz yet.

My question is regarding removal of the sights (your run-of-the-mill older Anschutz diopter). It seems like most pictures I see of cased target rifles show the rifles with the sights removed and placed in their own little custom compartments in the foam -- but I'm not ready to go that far yet. Short of that, is it a good idea to remove the sights for transport anyway? Are they more likely to get damaged OFF the rifle, or ON? And how close to zero can I expect them to be after reinstalling?

Thanks,
marky-d
GaryN

Re: Rifle Transport and Sight Removal

Post by GaryN »

The sight sticking up like it does on the rifle, is just asking to get knocked against something.
Then your zero will really be knocked off, and maybe the sight damaged enough to require replacement $$$.

I remove the sight, wrap in bubble wrap or small towel, and put it into a small plastic file box.
This takes all of 2 minutes, so what's the big deal.
And the file box was about $3 at the office supply store, not some expensive custom box.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Yes, absolutely remove the rearsight for transport. As Gary notes, Anschutz rearsight are quite tall, and can be damaged in transit. The zinc alloy 6705 and 6805 (where the wind age is behind the elevation screw) are susceptible to lateral force.

It's very easy to remove Anschutz rearsight, and reinstall. Note the position on the receiver to keep eye relief the same, and you should be with a click or two. For older rifles mark the receiver with tape or tippex.
Last edited by Tim S on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Thanks!
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

I had someone ship me a rifle once - with the sights attached.

It was of course, damaged beyond repair by the time it reached me.

You can buy a small latching Lexan/plastic box, from Home Depot; they're made under the Husky label. I wrap both the front & rear sight in a small microfiber towel, put them, plus the rear aperture, a spanner wrench, and a 2.5mm Allen key in the box.
coaching

Post by coaching »

I don't know what all you people have been having a problem with. I have taken my .22 and air rifle all over the world and never!!! removed the sights and had no problems with it. Maybe I have been lucky, but I would not bother if you have a good case to use for them. It's a step you don't have to bother with in my opiniion. Don in Oregon
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

£300+ for a new rearsight vs 30 seconds to remove the sight? I'll stick with what I'm doing thanks.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

Tim S wrote:£300+ for a new rearsight vs 30 seconds to remove the sight? I'll stick with what I'm doing thanks.
Yep - and going after an airline or shipping company to replace your rear or front sight prior to your next match, can be quite... unpleasant. YMMV.