Finishing gun stock. Grip and buttplate question.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

redcitylights

Finishing gun stock. Grip and buttplate question.

Post by redcitylights »

Hi! I am modifying a Boyd's tacticool rifle stock for my local 4-H 3 position shoot, and have a question about the grip. Do any of the top position shooters shoot with their thumb on the same side as their hand (right side of the grip for right hand shooters)? My grip currently requires me to use an uncomfortably horizontal hold, or reshape it to the point that the stock will be weaker. I thought I might switch to this grip style and add a shelf. Does anyone foresee any issue with regulations or accuracy regarding this grip now, or down the road at different matches?

Also, does anyone think adjustable pitch buttplates are a must-have? I was thinking of cutting mine with a few degrees of pitch, as it's not adjustable.

Also, if I have more questions about this particular stock should I post in this thread, or start a new one?
Thanks!
Tim S

Re: Finishing gun stock. Grip and buttplate question.

Post by Tim S »

Most top 3-P Smallbore shooters use an aluminium skeleton stock with a pistol grip, or a wooden thumbhole stock. Both encourage the thumb to sit around the grip, it's tilted up at a natural angle, not dead horizontal. So most shooters grip this way. A few shooters using wood stocks, lay their thumb vertically; I think this is more common amongst older shooters. A thumb up hold isn't wrong, it's just not common. However if your stock won't allow a comfortable thumb-round grip, thumb-up would be a sensible compromise, providing your trigger release is still clean.

Have you thought of moulding the grip with epoxy or putty so your thumb can sit more naturally, and your hand/trigger finger are still comfortable?

Tilting but plates are useful in fitting the butt to the shape of your shoulder, though not everyone will use this facility. Butt plates that moves sideways, twists, not just up-down, have been standard on top-end. 22 match rifles since the 1960s.
redcitylights

Post by redcitylights »

I appreciate the help on the grip Tim s. Sounds like I will try to sand it so it fits with the normal grip style. If that doesn’t work I will use putty to build a thumb shelf on the outside of the grip.

On the buttpad I should have been more clear. I am installing an adjustable lop, height, and angle (roll) buttpad. Because it’s not adjustable for pitch, I need to know the best pitch to cut it at. Do y’all have a pitch setting you leave your pads at? If not, what setting do you think would be a good compromise?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

By pitch, you mean front-rear tilt? Or do you mean angle to the side? Either way I would tend to say square to the bore is best, if there is no in-built adjustment.
twillis

Post by twillis »

Which adjustable buttplate are you using? I would like to add one to my boyds stock too.
redcitylights

Post by redcitylights »

It’s a mcrs tactical. So far I’m not super impressed, but it was free for me so I can’t complain (like that will stop me).