Non-lead pellets and ammo

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ranb

Non-lead pellets and ammo

Post by Ranb »

I'm involved in a discussion on another forum about attempts by the WA legislature to ban the use/possession of ammunition containing lead by anyone under age 21. There would be an exception for those who obtain the lead ammo from their parents.

I'm being told by a few people who enjoy informal target shooting that non-lead ammo and pellets are just fine. I'm trying to explain to them that actual accuracy is required in a match. So how well or poorly do lead free 17 caliber air rifle pellets and 22lr match ammo perform? I've searched for some test results online, but all I'm seeing is higher velocity ammo/pellets that group poorly.

Are there any precision matches that require lead free ammo/pellets?
spektr

Re: Non-lead pellets and ammo

Post by spektr »

Theres no non lead pellets that will outshoot a lead pellet in any tarrget grade airgun. Target grade airguns were designed to shoot lead. I suspect that the soviets have made, shot and discarded many alternate pellet materials because tbey do stuff like that to find an edge, no matter how small.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Does anyone even make 0.22LR lead free match ammo? I've not heard of any from Eley, Lapua/SK and RWS. Sure you could put "match" on the box, but that doesn't mean it's actually match-grade.
Rover

Post by Rover »

There is no reason for lead-free ammo, especially pellets, if you're not munching them like peanuts.

Do a search here.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Rover wrote:There is no reason for lead-free ammo, especially pellets, if you're not munching them like peanuts.
Agreed. But that never stopped an anti-gun legislator from proposing a ban. Anything they can do to throw a restriction on the law abiding.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey