Steyr Challenge Bolt / Charging issue - Does not stay closed

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dlinkh

Steyr Challenge Bolt / Charging issue - Does not stay closed

Post by dlinkh »

In October, I purchased a Steyr Challenge and I loved the rifle. While I was in a match in December, I pulled a little too hard on the charging lever and the charging mechanism on the rifle stopped working (bolt would not hold a charge), in turn causing the rifle to stop working altogether. I figured out that the second stage weight was too light and I set the weight to be heavier on the second stage pull. After this, the rifle began to charge but I ran into the issue of the charging lever not staying closed. If you tried to close it, it would pop back open and it felt like as if the issue that was caused at first, with the charging mechanism not holding in place, went and moved to the front of the rifle. I have disassembled the rifle to the trigger unit and have found that something unknown to me might either hold or push the safety lever and is not activating.Or maybe something else that I am either oblivious too or missing is wrong as well. If anyone knows anything about this issue I would love to hear about it. Attached to this is a picture of what the unit should look like in the ready to shoot phase (if my hand was not there holding it) and what is currently occurring with the rifle at the moment. Thanks to anyone who read this and can help.
-David
Attachments
What the rifle does now.
What the rifle does now.
What the rifle should do.
What the rifle should do.
Crashtacular

Re: Steyr Challenge Bolt / Charging issue - Does not stay cl

Post by Crashtacular »

It’s tough to tell what you want us to see in the photo. However, it looks like you are showing the dry fire lever that gets pushed in when the bolt handle is it closed. If the issue you are describing is that you can cock striker assembly, load a pellet, and then the rifle just “clicks” because the bolt is not closed all the way. If that is the case, the way to adjust the tension that keeps the bolt closed is by adjusting the barrel. If you loosen the barrel screws, put the buttplate on your knee, and push the barrel into the bolt and tighten the barrel set screws. You will have to play with how much tension needs to be put onto the barrel until you get the right tension on the bolt handle. Also, some steyrs have two indentations on the barrel so that the two set screws by the breech can hold the barrel in place better. These holes will cause the barrel to have minimal if any adjustment. You can rotate the barrel so that these holes are not used. Let me know how that works for you.
Joel