FWB 800 -- Travel Case Recommendations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hunkerdown

FWB 800 -- Travel Case Recommendations

Post by hunkerdown »

My daughter will be traveling with her FWB 800X. We would like to buy a high quality case that could be used for regular transport to/from weekly matches, JOs and possibly air travel if that is in her future. I would like your comments and suggestions and any feedback you might have on the most common cases out there, such as the Pelican and Storm and others. I have also seen the Cabela's Armor Xtreme cases, and I would be interested in your thoughts on how they stack up against the competition. Finally, I was wondering whether there is any benefit to what is advertised as the "double" rifle cases -- would it be useful to have the extra room for accessories, ammo, or other items?

As a novice Dad trying to help my daughter make good decisions, I appreciate any advice you might have to offer. Thank you.
Scott J

Re: FWB 800 -- Travel Case Recommendations

Post by Scott J »

I use a Pelican 1750 or 1720 case. They are kinda spendy, but you can find sales on them if you are patient. With the 1750 case you can fit 2 rifles in the case with no sights or buttplates. With the 1730 case there isn't enough room for 2 rifles , but you can cut the foam for spots for the buttplate and carrier, handstop and sights. Check BH Photo, link>>>https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N ... yes&sts=ps
They carry all different sizes of Pelican cases. There are less expensive cases you can buy, but IMHO they aren't as tough.
The Storm cases are made by Pelican, just a little lighter and a different latching system.

Scott
p.s.Cabelas carries Pelican also, if you are near one.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

The Pelican is pricey, but considering your daughter's rifle is worth around 3K, it's a small price to pay for a field proven case.
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

I’ll second the pelican 1750. If you keep the piece of foam that you cut out you can set the case up for multiple guns by alternating which foam is on top. Make sure when you are looking up prices they include the foam, some do not. Keep an eye on Buds guns. They run specials and I was able to pick one up for $179 including shipping.
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

I’ve been using a rifle case by Strong Case. https://www.strongcasestore.com/product/strong-deluxe.
Its a great case and and made in America. You can read all about them on their website. Mine is a large case that I use for one rifle and have room for some accessories. Extremely durable case.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Wheels!
hunkerdown

Post by hunkerdown »

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I am relatively new to this world of shooting, but I continue to be impressed with the generosity of the community. Keep up the great work.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

I have had my original case for about 30 years and at least that many flights with my rifles. I like them more than the Pellican as they are lighter, allowing me to put both rifles in along w/ accessories. If I am only going to a smallbore match, I can pack all of the more fragile items - including my spotting scope and rifle scope - in the same case as the rifle. I now own two of these cases for that very reason.

http://icc-case.com/impact-case-5214-do ... ped-rifle/

There is also a version with wheels, but I have not found that I need a case with that option.

As a side note, I have nothing against the Pelican - they are just bulkier and heavier than the aluminum ones I own. With the most recent size/weight restrictions on checked baggage, I found this to be best for what I do. Those features are also nice when you are using them for day to day transport.

To each their own...

Regards,
ken
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I have multiple cases for my daughters and club guns.
I originally got a 1750, but now feel it is too long. Also, if you are traveling and need to rent a car you may have to get an SUV.

I purchased a few pelican / Storm iM3100 size cases as they are fully within airline baggage dimensions, but:
1) You have to take the action out of the stock (it's a short case)
2) Airlines don't even give you grief if you have a 1750 or a iM3410 (too long for me)
3) Even with these cases, you are still limited by the weight limits. A shorter case is less weight and you can pile more into a shorter one to get to the (mostly) 50lb limit.
(Same applies to the large OGIO bags ... great for car travel, but they are about 15lbs empty.)

I prefer the iM3200 Storm case as it will fit across the back seat of all but very compact cars, and I like the latches much better than the Pelican.

If you put buttplates & sights in your larger gear bag then you can get both the airgun & sbr into the 3200.
My guess is that 90% of collegiate athletes use this or this length case.

My daughter has traveled all over the US & world to Asia & Europe several times with the same iM3200 since she was in high school (going on 7 years now).

Here another post to read up on:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51040&p=243814&hilit=iM3200#p243814

Here is a Storm iM3200 with 2 guns:
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

+1 for the iM3200 from me, too. It strikes the right balance of length, and can fit cross-ways in the trunk of any sedan on the market. The airlines don't even give you a second glance about it being oversize. The only downside is that since it is so common, you definitely need to add some markings to distinguish it from the rest of the gun-case forest in the OTC equipment room; nothing a few strategically placed stickers won't handle.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

mtncwru wrote:+1 for the iM3200 from me, too. It strikes the right balance of length, and can fit cross-ways in the trunk of any sedan on the market. The airlines don't even give you a second glance about it being oversize. The only downside is that since it is so common, you definitely need to add some markings to distinguish it from the rest of the gun-case forest in the OTC equipment room; nothing a few strategically placed stickers won't handle.

I'll give the 3200 a +2. I have travelled the US with this case, and two rifles inside of it. The wheels are a lifesaver especially considering that you still need some type of duffel bag for the other stuff: mat, coat, pants, offhand stand, etc.

Occasionally, you even have room for the actual clothing you'll be wearing on the trip!

-tc