rear iris centering mirror

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

btucker

rear iris centering mirror

Post by btucker »

Does anybody have experience with using this device? Small mirrored disc with center cutout. I understand you would mount it on the rear of an iris, look through it centering the hole, your foresight and the reflection of your pupil and determine things like how high your cheek piece should really be to center your eye in the iris. Is this just smoke & mirrors? Pun intended.
COBelties

Re: rear iris centering mirror

Post by COBelties »

I coach a few kids who use them, personal preference I guess. One thing we did notice at WAG was when the lighting is high and behind (like in the gym) the reflection is really bright and distracting, but in the other ranges not a problem. Personally it seems you can setup a rifle correctly and have consistent position without one, so its more of a personal gadget - but that's just a quick opinion.
btucker

Post by btucker »

Great, thanks for your response. Also the instructions from 10.9 is that if you see your eye reflected back at you, you are not in line. They say the objective is to not see your eye, ie. no reflection = in line?????
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

As an older shooter I looked to similar shooters to see what was working for them. http://www.issf-sports.org/athletes/ath ... 0704196201 Warren was using one with great success for several years. Knowing I was losing points due to head alignment it seemed like a good idea. One thing not mentioned in addition to the sight alignment is the distance between pupil and mirror. One can keep it very consistent by looking in the mirror and setting the rear sight so that the eye is in focus. This may not be how anyone else uses it but my iron scores have improved. Enough where the last outdoor match I shot in 2017 was the first time I've shot a 1600 prone with irons.
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

I shoot with one for a while and found it helped but I moved to the MEC duplex which I've found to be better.

I found that the mirror is not square with the rear iris axis such that if you adjust the aperture then your head position moves to keep your iris centered on the mirror.

I also had the mirror move when using it in fullbore and caused a 3 minute shift in my sights.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

Hello Peter,
Thanks for your insight on the shift of the mirror. Now I have one more excuse!!!!
In all seriousness, with the fullbore recoil, unless one is using the Centra Iris, the mirror could slip off an alternative brand of iris due to how it fits.
Simply slips over the outer diameter of the rear iris. Probably not an issue with air or smallbore.

Regards,

Mike Carter
btucker

Post by btucker »

I'm still not sure how would you use this thing. Do you want to see your eye reflected back or is it supposed to disappear? Are you supposed to line up the hole with your reflected pupil.....???
Modena

Post by Modena »

The mirror doesn't slip on, it screws on. You're supposed to NOT be able to see your pupil. You can still see the rest of your eye "around" the pupil (exactly how much depends on how close you are). I used one for ages, have recently removed it to try a coloured ring instead. I think it's also a good aid for a new shooter to help teach them eye alignment.
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

Mike, the mirror moved in the black outer part.

btucker, I lined up the hole in the mirror to be concentric with the reflection of my pupil.

Modena, the mec mirror for mec/centra rear irises screws on while the mec mirror for the gehmann irises clamp on the outside.
Th.

Post by Th. »

It should look like this.
Attachments
Scan_20171228.jpg
btucker

Post by btucker »

Thanks TH. Reason for confusion is here is 10.9 (store) description of what it does and how to use it: " The Mirror is a tool to teach and confirm proper head position and sight alignment. It fits on your rear aperture and reflects the image of your eye back to you...IF and only if your eye is not positioned correctly. If your eye is in the center of the rear sight, your sight picture will be fine and you won't have your own eyeball staring back at you. If you're mis-aligned, you will!" Different for sure.

I taped a friends mirror onto my anschutz 9530 and all I could get was that my eye and pupil was nowhere near low enough to center in this mirror. Removed the entire cheek stock and still was nowhere near low enough to get the hole even near my pupil. I do think I had the mirror pretty well centered on the back of my eyepiece. To get my eye to lineup I'd have to raise my rear sight 20-30mm more (already have 28mm on it, and never use my cheek piece....
Th.

Post by Th. »

Then maybe you should try something like this.
http://www.mec-shot.de/en/products/sigh ... p-comfort/