Air rifle sweaty hands NRA rules question?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gmucha

Air rifle sweaty hands NRA rules question?

Post by gmucha »

My daughter's hands get sweaty when shooting. NRA rules say you cannot add any sticky spray to the grip. Can liquid chalk be used on the hands like tennis and baseball players use to keep them dry?

Thanks
Glenn
jhmartin

Re: Air rifle sweaty hands NRA rules question?

Post by jhmartin »

Glenn with some of the, well lets be P.C. and kind, obtuse non-written, off the cuff, oddball interpretations we are getting these days on the rules, who knows.
Note that the rule does not say "sticky":
7.4.2.6 wrote:Material that gives increased grip may not be added to the fore-end, pistol grip
or lower part of the stock.
(my underlining)

WHOOPS ... that's ISSF .... NRA is even more obtuse (and they do say sticky) in the Jacket(????) section of the rules.
3.11.1(a)11 wrote:No velcro, sticky substances, liquid or spray may be applied to the outside of the jacket, pads or equipment to prevent slipping. Roughening material of the jacket is permitted.
I think the >ORIGINAL< intent here was to keep folks from applying substances to keep the stock in the shoulder, elbow from slippimg on the mat, etc. That's what I would call folks on.

Even so: With chalk, I personally would not call a shooter on it.
But since it can (does???) leave a residue on the stock, I could see certain anal EC types getting up & huffy.

I think most shooters that have this problem simply wear a short fingered glove on their trigger hand.

i.e. (from recent New Delhi World Cup - ISSF Photos):

turtlehead

Post by turtlehead »

Use something as simple as a towel on the offhand stand. No fuss and no worries about getting nailed for rule infraction.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

There are some very good products out there that give more grip.
Try this or similar, they work well for helping with slippery pistol grips. https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Boost-Sweat ... B01K9D4080
I use a similar product for both smallbore and shotgun
Cheers
Martin
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Martin H wrote:There are some very good products out there that give more grip.
Try this or similar, they work well for helping with slippery pistol grips. https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Boost-Sweat ... B01K9D4080
I use a similar product for both smallbore and shotgun
Cheers
Martin
Problem is that if any of it transfers to the stock or clothing it would probably break the rules.
I cant imagine anything worse than shooting with sticky hands. It is hard enough getting pellets to stay in the breech as it is without sticky fingers. I had a batch of Finale Match that had a sticky dressing on them and they stuck to my fingers on loading. Had to wash them.
As for the original question about batters' "chalk" remember it contains sticky tree rosin. It isnt talc.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

After rereading my original post, just a point of clarification, I only put the spray on my hands, not the pistol grip.
As long as you do this you are OK within the rules.

The grip spray dries so your hands are dry but with enhanced grip. Brilliant for hot climates where I used to spend most of my time drying my trigger hand before each shot.
Cheers
Martin
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

Consider trying regular antiperspirant on the hands about 30 minutes before the match.
------
Allen Corneau
T-Higgs

Post by T-Higgs »

Though this is an older thread, I’d add that if you visit your dermatologist, there are several ways to limit excessive had sweat. Methods from topical applications to iontophoresis, and even botox injections can be very effective in controlling and drastically limiting hand sweat (hyperhidrosis).

Tim
badwrench5150

Post by badwrench5150 »

Almost every student shooter on my son's team wear a trigger hand glove. I started him on the Kurt Thune glove but it rode up the palm when shooting. He now wears CS glove and loves it. Also, the grip of both his rifles are made textured (like 220 grit) from FWB factory. His Small bore Rifle came with a large smooth rifle grip and when I ordered a Medium grip from FWB, It came in textured like the one on his FWB 800X (same part number for both rifles).

Texture of the grip along with a glove will resolve the slippery issues.