Offhand stand comparison?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sillymike

Offhand stand comparison?

Post by sillymike »

Silly question: Did anyone ever compared the various offhand stands available?
- Tec-hro
- Anschutz
- Air Venturi
- Freeland
- Gehmann
- Kurt Thune
- Champion's Choice

Anyone better than the other?

Tks,
Mike
Marc Orvin

Re: Offhand stand comparison?

Post by Marc Orvin »

Watched something I had never seen before while working the Winter Airgun Match. George Norton was using a Techro stand. He needed a slight adjustment and was able to raise the stand with one hand. Released the clamp, raised it and closed the clamp all with one hand. Pretty tough to do with most stands.

Not a great reason to make a choice, but I thought it was pretty handy.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

All they do is hold the gun up between shots! If your flying then weight matters alot!
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Probably a really stupid question, but I'm looking for a spotting stand and have gravitated towards Ray-Vin (http://www.ray-vin.com/tripods/tripods.htm). They won't ship internationally, but I can drive across the border to pick-up.

I'm focused on pistol, but really do want to take up rifle again. So my question is: If I were to buy the Ray-Vin Eclipse I should be able to buy/make a rifle rest and ammunition holder and be good to go right?
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

They will all work well.
For those considering the Tec-Hro stand, my only comment is that the tubes are fiberglass and some care must be taken when packing these up to have something stiff beside them in your bag. If they are packed to where the airline handlers can "buffet" them inside your bag .... throwing other heavy items and such around and on top of them, they can get crushed. Make sure they are all slid down inside one another and locked to give more stiffness to the whole assy
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Probably a really stupid question, but I'm looking for a spotting stand and have gravitated towards Ray-Vin (http://www.ray-vin.com/tripods/tripods.htm). They won't ship internationally, but I can drive across the border to pick-up.

I'm focused on pistol, but really do want to take up rifle again. So my question is: If I were to buy the Ray-Vin Eclipse I should be able to buy/make a rifle rest and ammunition holder and be good to go right?

When I was shooting F-Class I had a Ray-Vin scope stand. It is exceptionally well made and had a couple of features other stands did not have. There was the way scope to stand adjustment worked and the way the legs folded up and down and out.

Chip