ISSF rule 7.6.1.3, 7.7.5, 7.4.2.2 - Air Rifle palm rest

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Modena

ISSF rule 7.6.1.3, 7.7.5, 7.4.2.2 - Air Rifle palm rest

Post by Modena »

These rules state that a palm rest may not be used in 10m Air Rifle. What am I missing?

while we're at it, 7.4.2.2 states that the pistol grip cannot be anatomically formed - how is that defined?
PaulB

Re: ISSF rule 7.6.1.3, 7.7.5, 7.4.2.2 - Air Rifle palm rest

Post by PaulB »

see the thread titled "Air Rifle Palm Block" that I started on Oct 31, 2017 in this same forum.

I received a direct email reply from a ISSF rifle committee member as follows, which leaves me with even more questions:

"Palm Rests are not allowed on Air Rifles. The picture in 7.4.4.1 shows the modern version of an aluminum air rifle with the manufacturers adjustable fore-end block. These are allowed as they come from the manufacturer and are a part of the entire rifle when assembled. They also meet the Air Rifle dimension requirements.
As for adding something (other than what comes from the manufacturer) to the fore-end of an air rifle stock, it is not allowed."

Since these new "fore-end blocks" are removable and adjustable they clearly meet the ISSF definition of a palm rest. The statement that if it is manufacturer original equipment it is OK but not OK if it is an after-market add-on I can find nowhere in the rules. Does the ISSF individually approve the design of each manufacturer's equipment, such as each air rifle? One should be able to take an old air rifle and add something to make it function exactly like an allowed new rifle.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

PaulB wrote:see the thread titled "Air Rifle Palm Block" that I started on Oct 31, 2017 in this same forum.

I received a direct email reply from a ISSF rifle committee member as follows, which leaves me with even more questions:

"Palm Rests are not allowed on Air Rifles. The picture in 7.4.4.1 shows the modern version of an aluminum air rifle with the manufacturers adjustable fore-end block. These are allowed as they come from the manufacturer and are a part of the entire rifle when assembled. They also meet the Air Rifle dimension requirements.
As for adding something (other than what comes from the manufacturer) to the fore-end of an air rifle stock, it is not allowed."

Since these new "fore-end blocks" are removable and adjustable they clearly meet the ISSF definition of a palm rest. The statement that if it is manufacturer original equipment it is OK but not OK if it is an after-market add-on I can find nowhere in the rules. Does the ISSF individually approve the design of each manufacturer's equipment, such as each air rifle? One should be able to take an old air rifle and add something to make it function exactly like an allowed new rifle.
If that is an official view then the other two threads need updating because the concensus there was that Tec Hro and DIY fore end extensions within the width and depth limits would be allowed. This guy just drove a coach and horses through that view.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Until that comes out in an interpretation, that is only 1 member's opinion
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Has there been an official published interpretation? It seems that almost everyone at the World Cups is using either the Anschutz 9015 Precise or "One", the Feinwerkbau 800 or 800X, or the Walther Alutec, Anatomic or Blacktec, all of which have these "palm rests". Someone decided that they are within the rules because they are being used.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

PaulB wrote:Has there been an official published interpretation? It seems that almost everyone at the World Cups is using either the Anschutz 9015 Precise or "One", the Feinwerkbau 800 or 800X, or the Walther Alutec, Anatomic or Blacktec, all of which have these "palm rests". Someone decided that they are within the rules because they are being used.
That is not in question in my opinion. What just reared up from the committee guy was not being allowed to use an aftermarket replacement. I may have to rethink my plan to screw a length of 2x1 to my fore end!
Modena

Post by Modena »

Interesting. After I posted this thread it occurred to me that these things on modern aluminium rifles are not "palm rests" but are rather "adjustable fore-ends". Perhaps there is a distinction?

PaulB, the comment you received from ISSF is indeed confusing - and it suggests pretty clearly that non-OE systems would not be legal, yet lots of people are using for example a Tec-Hro on another manufacturer's stock.

Clearly what is needed in the rules is some sort of definition on what constitutes a "palm rest"
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

I would love to know the reasoning behind this no aftermarket palm rest business. It can't be cost as one can make up a palm rest for practically no money using 1 or 2 toilet bolts and a block of wood.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

James Storm wrote:I would love to know the reasoning behind this no aftermarket palm rest business. It can't be cost as one can make up a palm rest for practically no money using 1 or 2 toilet bolts and a block of wood.
Ultimately it was because palm rests were an accessory for Free Rifles, where the specifications for air rifles were based on the old Standard Rifle. Building up the stock within the maximum size was allowed, but a palm shelf, together with a hand rest, spirit levels, set triggers, and butt hooks were prohibited.